News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by chairhead, January 23, 2011, 05:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairhead

Ok,
at 13.30 hrs this afternoon i left to do a couple of winter rallys,
the Elefantentreffen and the Taurentreffen,at approx 13.40 hrs i was back at my address,i got 500 meters down the road and the Tiger went down to two cylinders and the mil light came on, :evil: feck i thought,i sent the good lady to get three new spark plugs whilst i took most of the stuff i took all morning to pack,then off came the relevent bits of Tigger to change the plugs,new plugs fitted everything back together and still runs on two,Arrgghh :evil: any ideas please guys,its number 1 that is down :?
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Timbox2

My first guess would be coil pack on No 1 , but thats all it is , a guess.

Bit late in the day but Ive got TuneECU if you ever need a diagnostic, and I guess Im not that far from you, ( Im up near Blackwood).
2016 Tiger Sport

chairhead

Quote from: "Timbox2"My first guess would be coil pack on No 1 , but thats all it is , a guess.

Bit late in the day but Ive got TuneECU if you ever need a diagnostic, and I guess Im not that far from you, ( Im up near Blackwood).

Thanks for that,
i'll pop it down to the dealer in cardiff first thing in the morning,
with a bit of luck i can catch a ferry later tommorow :roll:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

Since you can't get to the dealer till tomorrow, and if you still have the tank off, try swapping two coil packs over, if the problem moves with the coil pack you've cracked it, and won't need to pay the dealer a load of diagnostic time.

If it doesn't move then it's not coil pack.  You've probably already checked the plug for sparks?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

Tank is back on but all the panels that surround it are still off so i can swap about coils first thing in the morning,can i run the bike with the tank off??,
i thought that if block connectors were unplugged and the ignition turned on  that this would show as a fault and the mil light would be on,am i right in thinking that the cam cover is magnesium?
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Timbox2

Quote from: "chairhead"Tank is back on but all the panels that surround it are still off so i can swap about coils first thing in the morning,can i run the bike with the tank off??,
i thought that if block connectors were unplugged and the ignition turned on  that this would show as a fault and the mil light would be on,am i right in thinking that the cam cover is magnesium?

On my 05 model I can get the tank on the R/H side of the bike and just get the fuel pump connector and fuel pipe to reach, dont know if on the earlier models this can be done or not. Yes,  if any connectors are disconnected and the ignition on you will get the MIL light, which will go after 3 cycles once fault no longer present, as you have already got the MIL doesnt really matter. Dont forget the airbox temp sender connector and the fuel gauge connector when you put it back, I have done so a couple of times and either triggers the MIL. Cam Cover magnesium, yep, apparently.
2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

I am sure I saw the word 'Magnesium' cast into the cam cover on Right hand side when I had the tank off.

I just done the mil light 3 cycles on idle until fan cut then let the bike cool and do it again, takes about 12 minutes on idle before fan switches on.

chairhead

Quote from: "daveb"I just done the mil light 3 cycles
whats this then?,
forgive my ignorance :oops:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

daveb

Quote from: "chairhead"
Quote from: "daveb"I just done the mil light 3 cycles
whats this then?,
forgive my ignorance :oops:

the mil light (engine warning light) came on after I changed the thermostat and rad cap,

what I did was run the bike on idle until the fan cuts in, this should be about 12 minutes, then turn off engine on key not kill switch, leave the bike cool, then repeat process, engine at idle - 12 mins, key off, let it cool then again. turned off at key, I put the bike in my shed - hot, switched on ran bike MIL light went out.

but I didn't use the kill switch during the process as this stops the fan, ignition off allows the fan to run on  for a bit. the ecu must be learning the engine curve and protocalls ensuring everything ok.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/ ... stion.html

chairhead

Thanks Dave,
thanks all :thumbsup
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

Lets not get carried away with the MIL light thing.  It would be useful to read the code as that will point to where the problem is.  Chairhead will get that at the dealer tomorrow.

Yes, if you turn the ign on with anything disconnected a code will be recorded that also puts the MIL light on. But as TB2 says, it's on anyway.

The dealer will cancel the MIL light for you (assuming he fixes it there and then) so the three-cycle method probably won't be needed.

For future reference, the three warm-up cool down cycles can simply be three rides, as long as it warms up and cools down.  The ECU senses it has done three cycles without the cause of the code re-occurring and turns the light off (however it retains the code for future reference to be read by the dealer in some cases).  This should not be confused with doing the 12 minute tune which requires the bike to warm up from cold until the fan comes on, one cycle, without touching the throttle - which resets the trims.   :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KuzzinKenny

Hey chairhead !! hope ya get yer Tigger sorted in time !!

you are part Polar Bear  :shock:  :lol:

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

chairhead

Ok back again,
you will probably guess that the that the problem was solved,
i took the bike to Bevans M/C's in Cardiff,they were great,i chugged around the back to the workshop and had a chat with the guys there and before i had finished talking the Actia(spelling) was out and plugged in,
as i suspected number 1 coil pack had gone,so i had to order a new one,and that would take a day or two to arrive :cry:,there was however a silver lining in as much as the manager allowed me to remove a coil from a second hand Girly sat in the showroom :eusa_dance,how good was that,
the mechanics stripped the showroom Girly and i did mine,coils removed and replaced,fault codes cleared,bikes back together and i was good to go :hello2 .
I did the Elefantentreffen and the Taurentreffen no problems,
Sunday saw me head back and i was going to stop at a friends house in Auschaffenburg,but i got as far as Iggensbach on the A3 when again the Girly went down onto two :cry:  :cry:  :evil: this time number 3 has gone,
i am back home now,the outfit had to be left at a Triumph dealer in Passau,
does anyone know why these coil packs would go down in such quick   succession :?:  :?: and should i be prepaired to buy number two as well :?:
to say im pissed off is a huge understatement,not only because of what happened with the bike,but the F**k around from the insurance company too,had a great trip RR to follow.
cheers
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

daveb

oh thats a bugger Chairhead.

Bixxer Bob

That's pretty rough C.H.  So what's the recovery plan?  Passau looks a fair hike.... :roll: