News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High fender MX style on a Steamer

Started by Bob Tosi, January 29, 2011, 07:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingdomstyle

is there a kit you can buy that has all this?
1999 TIGER black.2008 XR650L,2008 KLX450R

Mustang

Quote from: "kingdomstyle"is there a kit you can buy that has all this?
no kit
if you own a steamer and want to add farkles (man I hate that word) you need to fab them yourself
steamers have been out of production now for 13-14 years and they were never in that great a number in the first place for most companys to bother with aftermarket shit . No profit margin ......to use your example of a high front fender kit , who would bother making a production run and then have the parts sit on a shelf somewhere because the reality is you are probably only going to sell two or three kits.
95 tigers there were only around 125 units shipped to US
by 98 they were a bit better at around 500 units  to US and then the steamer was done ...........

Pretty low #'s of machines to make specific aftermarket products for .

Granted in UK and especially Germany the #'s of steamers is greater .

kingdomstyle

wow 125 shipped in 95,that is hard to imagine,that makes them even cooler :D

Bob Tosi

Quoteby 98 they were a bit better at around 500 units to US and then the steamer was done ...........

What a shame because these bikes totally KICK ASS!

500 accross the US is even pretty slim pickins.  Ten per state not counting wrecked ones out of service.

They are BEASTS off road but I would trade mine for nothin'!
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

kingdomstyle

i was a baxter cycle today,he told me that parts are getting scarce for these steamers,how much truth is there to that?

Bob Tosi

Bike Bandit seems to have all the schematics and parts.

fishnbiker

Quote from: "kingdomstyle"i was at Baxter Cycle today,he told me that parts are getting scarce for these steamers,how much truth is there to that?

Just take a look at other small run or older varieties. It might be a plan to consider how long you want to keep yours. Likely, common to other model parts (engine, brakes electrical), will remain relatively easy to get for some time yet. The unique-to-Tiger bits swill be discontinued at some future date, so you will have to look for other sources. Just ask anyone who owns an old Bonneville, or Commando or Royal Enfield Interceptor.  Maybe an exaggerated example, but you should get the drift.

I have been slowly gathering spares as they appear. Presently have a complete body set (not all black), wheels, brake & clutch parts, starter, alternator, etc. It started all so innocently, with small pieces, just a set of brake pads, then a throttle cable, a water pump came available & I was hooked ... having to snatch parts from anyone. Tiger addiction can be a dangerous thing! Save yourselves, sell your Steamer to me! Hahahahaha
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Bob Tosi

QuoteTiger addiction can be a dangerous thing! Save yourselves, sell your Steamer to me! Hahahahaha

NO NO NO DONT DO IT!......LOL

Jon KB

Quote from: "fishnbiker"hey bob, im sure we may have talked at some point or another. i have made fender brackets for several other members of this forum in the UK, USA, Canada, and Singapor. it will fit an acerbic's tech fender. i'll send you a pm.    eric

Aeronca sent one to me, but I used it differently than suggested. I found a fender brace That I mounted the fender on top of. I used Aeronca's bracket as a tie down through the fender to the brace. The rear end has a mudflap made from an old truck tire liner. I also used the Tiger fender as a template to trace out & cut down the front of the high fender to make it appear more like the original.

Thanks Aeronca. It's wonderfull working with such a fine group of contributors.
[/quote]

My turn,

It is a wonderful thing to start out with someones design and modifying it to meet your needs.

I started my replacement fender today
I'll be modifying Fishnbiker's design

I purchased a supermoto fender a couple of weeks ago
today I started with a 19 inch square by 1/8th inch thick aluminum sign that's been sitting in the garage for about 15 years.

Drew some lines (':shock:')

Cut bent and beat  into hopefully usable shapes  (':icon_scratch')

Tomorrow I'll pick up some hardware and start pre-assembly
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time
mailto:ttigerfoot@gmail.com\">ttigerfoot@gmail.com

jwray76

Looking pretty fancy!

I picked up a used high fender and it is just three one inch wide aluminum strips bent to mount it up. It works well too.

aeronca

Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Jon KB

put some more time into my fender, might get it done tomorrow barring interruptions.

Pre-assembly, seems to work

Underside

Using the back portion of the original fender as a fender extender

Next I'll clean it all up to give it a more finished look and add some paint
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time

Bob Tosi

Jon

Very nice work.  So that's a super moto fender and not a regular MX fender?  Is that the reason for the extension on the bottom end of the fender?  Are you planning to clamp the new fender to the fork tubes with the vertical parts of your new mounting brackets?

I love seeing people do stuff like this at home, it reminds ne why I got an engineering degree.  Great work!

Cheers!

Jon KB

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"Jon

Very nice work.  So that's a super moto fender and not a regular MX fender?  Is that the reason for the extension on the bottom end of the fender?  Are you planning to clamp the new fender to the fork tubes with the vertical parts of your new mounting brackets?

I love seeing people do stuff like this at home, it reminds ne why I got an engineering degree.  Great work!

Cheers!

The oil cooler is positioned vertically and a little lower than on the later girlies.

I was planning to extend the stock fender to reduce the amount of mud that sprays onto the oil cooler, so I just made the changes on the new fender.

If it doesn't work out I'll remove it.

The most expensive part of this build is the stainless steel hardware replacing the plastic fender if needed in the future will be cheep.

I leave the engineering to other folks an stick to kludging their designs.

Thank you to all those who I have borrowed concepts from, they make my life much more enjoyable.   :notworthy
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time

Jon KB

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"Jon

Are you planning to clamp the new fender to the fork tubes with the vertical parts of your new mounting brackets?

Cheers!

The mounting brackets attach to the original mounting holes on the forks
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time