News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advice needed re Steamer rebuild

Started by EPO, February 06, 2011, 06:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

Why is the engine crated?  Usually a good indicator that things are not rainbows and unicorns there.

The 93 has Mikuni carbs.  The o-rings in yours are probably turning to dust right about now.  They can be had very cheaply.  It's time to disassemble the carbs regardless of engine condition.  As for the broken cable question, the answer is yes.  Both the throttle and the chocke are cable operated, only through two separate cables.  Which one is broken and which is missing I cannot tell you, as my 98 has Keihin carbs.

Can you turn the engine over using a wrench on the countershaft sprog nut?
From parts unknown.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "EPO"Wow! I wasn't expecting such a barrage of responses so quickly! Thanks to everyone already.

Firstly I'm on the Herts/Essex border in Epping, UK - not that far from Rod Stewart's house in fact.

I will read through the threads referred to by Neil D this evening and will probably have more questions.

Coolhandluke - how can I be sure that the engine is a 1993 model please? It is out of the frame at present in a wooden crate. Also, is the Cam chain and tensioner replacement difficult? BTW it is a sky blue colour.

Changing the cam chain is fairly easy - especially with the engine not in the frame.  The important bit is ensuring the overhead cams are lined up correctly and the timing wheel is in the right place.  I would recommend lining up the marks on the cams with the timing wheel and then taking a few photos before starting the work.

I would be happy to come and visit.  I live in Bracknell, and it would be a nice ride out (weather permitting :p)

I'll take a picture of my engine later, so you can confirm the cover.  In the meantime, I'll do my best at explaining...

On the top of the engine, on the opposite side to the alternator, there will be a flat, bolted on, cover.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "JetdocX"Why is the engine crated?  Usually a good indicator that things are not rainbows and unicorns there.

The 93 has Mikuni carbs.  The o-rings in yours are probably turning to dust right about now.  They can be had very cheaply.  It's time to disassemble the carbs regardless of engine condition.  As for the broken cable question, the answer is yes.  Both the throttle and the chocke are cable operated, only through two separate cables.  Which one is broken and which is missing I cannot tell you, as my 98 has Keihin carbs.

Can you turn the engine over using a wrench on the countershaft sprog nut?
Second that.  The pilot screws tend to get blocked up, so a good clean now, will save a lot of heartache later.

Given the age, it's probably better to replace both cables with new ones as they will both be rusted through by now.

What condition are your wheels in?

EPO

The engine is crated simply because there was a crate available when the bike was dismantled I think. The carbs are Mikuni. I will strip and rebuild. I will add new cables to the spares list.

Thanks for the offer Coolhandluke - when I get beyond the planning stage I will take you up on it!

The wheels are quite tidy but the spokes are very corroded. I think they'll clean up okay though.

I haven't tried turning the engine over as its partially buried under a mountain of boxes and hard to get at - first job is to get the garage organised and make some kind of inventory I guess.

MIMbox

Welcome to the forum.
I live in Harrow area, so may be able to help too. I do have a spare engine that may be useful. It was bought as spare about 4 years ago. Never run by me, but turns over (when last checked), and had compression. It may have been raced but I would rather see it reused if your need is greater.
 Good luck, and remember LOTS OF PICS please.

rybes

take a close look at ya wheels where the spokes come throo the wheel. i had to change my wheels cos they were BADLY corroded. wouldnt have trusted em on the bike, that and the fact no mot tester wouldve passed em. if they passed their sell by date, wheels from a 885 injection will fit. mine are from a 2000 model. better wheels and wider too ;)

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
hope ya wheels dont look like my old ones
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

EPO

Many thanks. I looked through the rebuild threads which I found both inspiring AND daunting as I don't have the same level of mechanical skill. But the end results looked awesome.

I was going to sell the Tiger parts to raise some cash towards a new adventure style bike but the modern bikes don't have the same solid look about them - okay the Steamer may not be a beauty but it does look like it will go round the world and cope with any terrain!

CoolHandLuke

What colour is it?

(I'll keep asking until you tell :p)

EPO

It's a blue one but there seem to be a few panels missing. Oh and I can't seem to find a front mudguard unless its buried underneath something or other

rf9rider

Quote from: "EPO"It's a blue one but there seem to be a few panels missing. Oh and I can't seem to find a front mudguard unless its buried underneath something or other

I have a spare blue mudguard if you do decide on the rebuild.

Cheap to forum members!  :lol:

Welcome to the forum .

EPO

Many thanks Rf9Rider. If I cannot find the mudguard I'll be back to you.

EPO

Update: I've been sorting out the garage and trying to do some sort of inventory. Here's what I have so far.

The engine number has the flat plate so I assume it is a 93 model. However, the engine number is DCC7478 but the frame number is *SMTTD430DKP007377*   Does this mean the engine is a replacement I wonder? Lots of the cover bolts have been replaced with hex heads in a variety of colours so its been opened up in the past. No records at all.

The calipers look rough. I took one apart for a look and all the rubber seals are perished, the pad pins are corroded and the bleed nipples rounded. On the plus side the pistons look clean and there was still some cleanish fluid in the bodies.

The carbs are better than expected despite being dirty. I gave them a quick spray with carb cleaner and worked them over with a stiff brush. I reckon they'll be good.

Exhaust is all there but the clamps are well corroded. Are the headers stainless as they look very solid? The silencers look okay.

The coils are labelled PVL which I believe is good news!

The engine is well corroded at the front. The exhaust studs are missing completely. In places its a mass of furry white yuck. I scraped a bit away and it looked shiny underneath but pitted. The engine side covers are odd colours - one red and one blue?

There are several big boxes of parts, some of which are bagged up and labelled. The loom is there.

I couldn't find chain. sprockets, swinging arm, rear mudguard, front mudguard, headlamps, iginition block, radiator. There are some other boxes hidden away though.

My big question has got to be is it viable to rebuild this machine or should I sell the parts? My budget is about £1000.

rybes

go dig out the rest of your boxes and see what youve got then make a decicion. for a grand you should be able to get it up and runnin again as bits for these bikes do turn up on ebay quite often. just search tiger in motorcycles and accesories. thatll give you a better result than searching specifaclly for a 1993 triumph tiger. theyll be pages of crap ya wont want but ive found allsorts searchin like that.
the calipers will need rebuldin you can get rebuild kits from http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/ or http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/www.triu ... fo.php?p=2
 both a real good sources for bits and pieces dont give up on it, rebuild it. in all the years of driving all sorts of cars and bikes my tiger is the best transport ive ever had. do it right and you wont be dissapointed when its running. just take ya time and if ya not sure, ask ;) someone on here will have an answer.

good luck epo
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

NeilD

and when looking for bits, dont forget that the Tigers were built during Triumphs 'modular' years so lots of mechanical bits and switches etc are common across the range, ie Trident/Trophy/Daytona.. the headlights for example are the same..
its a shame its in that many bits, as seeing how it runs would probably determin if its a viable project..

Mustang

Frame and engine #'s do not match on hinkley bikes from the factory

The budget is going to take a serious hit to get this pig running again .

Missing the major components is going to be costly
and it sounds like the engine is going to seriously eat into the budget t o rebuild .

It's going to be a moneypit !

could you not shop around and find a 93-98 tiger that is in far better condition and is complete and running for your budget of L1000 (approx $1500 US)  

sometimes there is a reason why stuff gets parted out or abandoned