News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

05 Tiger- smell fuel

Started by cyclingtom, February 20, 2011, 12:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyclingtom

When I'm moving I smell fuel. This occurs not only when the tank is full but even as I approach empty. On occasion I notice a very small amount of fuel (a drop or two) on the outside edge of the filler- the fixed portion, not the hinged.
Anyone ever encounter this, and if so, was it a gasket on the filler or a venting issue (pressure in the tank)?

LAZYRIDER

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2001. I FOUND THE ALLENHEAD SCREWS HOLDING THE GASCAP ASSEMBLY TO THE TANK WERE LOOSE. AFTER I TIGHTENED THEM UP I NEVER SMELLED FUEL AGAIN. HOPE THIS FIXES YOUR PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK

Danny955i

Wow... All Caps = yelling... don't do that.

Anyway... check that you still have an o-ring around your gas cap. If not that, then it may just be the vent doing it's thing... if you stick your nose to any gas cap, you will smell gas...

cyclingtom

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the cap assembly apart and lubed the rubber gaskets with a thin layer of grease. So far it seems to have worked.

cba191

I have this problem on my new to me '02. Part of me is afraid that I'll catch fire. The other part has no idea how to get fuel tank off to start checking things. I'll do a search when I get home, but search sucks on a phone.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Mustang

cba191

Perfect!!!
Thank you. Pics definitely make it less intimidating.

cba191

The lower fitting on the left has a sliding metal lock plate that isn't perfectly flat.  Could this be causing the fuel to leak slightly?  I'm pretty sure that this is where my problem is.

Also, does anyone know what the part number is?

Chris Canning

Those photo's are off an earlier bike not an 05,or if it was registered 05 it's an 04 bike.

cba191

No.  It's an '02.  I'm just trying to figure out the cause of the smell.  I just ordered the metal fittings to solve the problem.  I figured I might as well replace them now.  :)

iansoady

You're right you might as well replace them but I suspect your problem was only a distorted / damaged O ring (easy to catch when you're fitting / removing connectors).
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

I'm amazed no one has ever been killed by those failing,how the hell Triumph have got away without doing a recall I'll never know,I still break into a cold sweet thinking about when mine broke some years ago while riding.

cba191

The constant smell of fuel just makes me too nervous to ride a whole lot.  Granted, the amount of fuel that seeps from mine is minor, but I smell it when I'm stopped at intersections and the garage reeks of it.