News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

DAR - I'm going in!!! now Clutch question

Started by NeilD, March 07, 2011, 08:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

dealer phonned today to say the parts have arrived..

just a quick question before I dive in tomorrow..

can anyone confirm that the bolt on the hollowshaft upgrade goes in from the clutch side.. ie. the nut is on the alternator side...

Mustang

Quote from: "NeilD"can anyone confirm that the bolt on the hollowshaft upgrade goes in from the clutch side.. ie. the nut is on the alternator side...
the nut should be on the alternator side as there is not much room between the bolt head and the clutch hub gear

NeilD

thanks just checking,... :D

well the new shaft and nut/bolt is in.. bit of a PITA to tighten it single handed but torqued it up to 40NM per the manual..

NOW - refitting the clutch... I've just come indoors to post this before I toss the clutch, followed by the bike over next doors hedge..

HOW are you supposed to get the aux drive wheel to stay put whilst you fit the clutchdrum, let alone fit the splined hub??

NeilD

well, there was something vital missing from both manuals... if after the 5th attempt it doesnt work, then go indoors and have a coffee... come back to the job after said refreshment and it will all go back together on the first attempt!!! hurrah!  :D

however, its a case of 1 step forward, 2 steps back... snapped one of the clutch spring bolts...  :cry:

tomorrow, I shall be gardening....

BruKen

Ahh, the persistance of a steamer owner.  :P It's a fraternity I swear  :wink:

rybes

i dont gardenin sunday. and in 17 days 16 hours and 15 minutes, hopefully ill be lookin at my bike :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

NeilD

Quote from: "BruKen"Ahh, the persistance of a steamer owner.  :P It's a fraternity I swear  :wink:

I think its finally worn me down...  :(  I was casting envious glances at a brand new XT600 'SuperMoto' in the dealers today whilst picking up the bits.. it was almost Caspian Blue too..  :)

anyway, this is what you get for £104..

P1010901 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

and this is what it replaced..!

P1010906 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

broken bolt on the clutch side, mustve been hangign out for a while as the head was polished to a mirror finish.. and the cushdrive rubbers were definately past their best!  I had another 'vane' in stock which fitted the shaft better so fitted that..

Bixxer Bob

So they replaced the bolt with a stud and a nut Neil?

Seems to me there's a market for refurbished parts here...  Drilling the main shaft out and fitting a stepped stud shouldn't be a great drama and certainly wouldn't cost £104.

Any chance I could have your old one to play with?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NeilD

no the original is a bolt in to each end, the upgraded part is a hollow shaft with a long bolt all the way through...

NeilD

so, just need to get the snapped clutch spring bolt out now...

P1010909a by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

are the bolts/screws anything special? no markings on the head so presume a standard spec one would do?

Bixxer Bob

I think the fact that you snapped one suggests they're nothing special.  You ok getting that one out?

It should be easy enough if it broke under tension.  You did buy the Aldi extractors last week didn't you??? :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NeilD

no, I've not done anything about getting the broken screw out yet... after the mess I made tryign to drill out the broken bolt on the tank, I'll have a look round locally for someone with a pillar drill and suitable extractor..

BruKen

Unless you are prepared to buy a new clutch basket I'd take that to a machine shop. I've never had much luck when it comes to baskets, they seem to be very fragile.

NeilD

yes I'll take it into 'work' when I'm back on Tuesday..

but in the meantime it was new tyres and discs day..  :D

P1010919 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

dave NL

Getting the tiger back on the road.