News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shinko Sh**-o???

Started by deepsouthtiger, March 08, 2011, 01:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad1098

Sorry to chime in late.  You already got what you needed.

Running the Shinko 705's in Radial format from Motorcycle Superstore.

Dirt cheap.  A whole set was less than a Tourance rear.  

I love them.  Only thing I noticed was they turn in fast, took a couple hundred miles to get used to that, and I noticed a high speed 85+ wobble when new.  Havent noticed lately.

I figure if I get 6k out of them they are worth it.  Sounds like I will be getting twice that.  8)
02 black-Lorna

AK Tiger

OK, after saying bad stuff about Shinko tires, I just bought a pair of radial 705's from Motorcycle Superstore.  :oops:   The price included shipping; the cheapskate in me won out.

I also found that the mold release they use is REALLY SLIPPERY!  Wipe 'em down really well before hitting (literally) the highway.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

D-Fuzz

I found an on-line Canadian retailer that have both bias-ply and radials in stock.  The bias-ply tires are 140/80/17, which is OEM size for my Tiger.  The radials are 150/70/17.  They have the 110/80/19 in both types.  I understand you should mix the types of tires.  Am I better off buying the radials or does it matter?  The difference is about $30/tire, so not a huge factor.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

deepsouthtiger

Well, its a rainy grey day here so doing some online surfing.  Found this old post and thought I would ad my .02 cents from 10 months of Shinko ownership.  For the $ these tires ROCK. 
My initial concerns:
Durability
Grip (on road in the wet) was the main worry, they looked very off road capable)
Ride comfort
Grip off road

My Findings:
They are holding up very well to daily commuting I have about 5,000 miles on them and they look great, rear is getting near the wear marks, front looks new.

Grip is much much better than I thought it would be on the street. On par with my Anakees. In the wet I dare say they are a little better IMHO I think the larger tread actually moves more water than the Anakees and WAY more than the Continental Attack tires I had on my Speed3.

Ride comfort is fine, again for the price. Not as smooth or quiet as the Anakee (especially over 100mph where I find the front tire gets a little "light") and a little "bumpy" at 1-5mph (like coming to a light, initial take off etc.  But again for the $ difference I can certainly live with it.

Grip off road is very good, better than an Anakee, not as good as a full on knobbies, but perfect for my riding style.

So, in my opinion they are well worth the money.  WIll I purchase these again?  Most certainly.  :thumbsup
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

Hemibee

2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne