News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cat Splat

Started by CormacG, October 27, 2004, 02:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CormacG

I haven't been checking the forum much since the accident - trying to get away from the idea of a nice shiny tiger and all that.

Well four months on and no they haven't caught whoever tried to do me in. I can't say that I'm suprised because the level of apathy from the police was astounding. As far as they were concerned there was no debris from another vehicle so that was that. They wouldn't even bother to check cameras. End of story. It has taken a lot of effort for me to get over that.

The bike was scrapped and I received just under £2K less than I had paid for it from the insurance company. As there was nobody to sue all the other expenses i.e. almost £3K of gear has to come out of my own pocket.

To make matters worse the repair job on my knee was shoddy and came apart just before christmas and I had to have more surgery to put it all back together again.  Did it on private medical insurance and now I have more wire in my knee than you would find in your average coat hanger, but hey, it's solid and it's not coming apart again.

I can't walk properly just yet but I'm getting there 30 degrees of movement today and hopefully 90 in a few weeks time. Hopefully a few weeks later I'll be able to get back to work although it'll be by tube which will do my head in without a doubt.

I'm not out and about much but on my last trip out (to the hospital) I saw a brand new gleaming Tiger being ridden in Chelsea.

Ahhh happy memories...
Drivers wearing hats are to be avoided.

SIBBO

Shit luck mate,the road to recovery sounds long and rocky,i cant blame you for not coming here much it must be frustrating :cry: ......

BP_LONDON

Well, it finally happened to me too. An uninsured driver swerved in front of me on the way home and I hit him side on at around 30mph. I went over the roof and hit the ground, injuring my wrist quite badly. At least it's not broken - just very sore and swollen...im very very lucky. Driver left the scene- but witnesses got the plate. Some bruising on my legs etc but otherwise i'm ok. Bike is damaged quite badly, will know in some days if she's written off.

It all happened in less than a second so nothing I could have done.

I hope to be back on the road assoon as possible but I'm under no illusion that it's going to be a long road.

greg

Crikey. You are right, this sort  of thing does happen so fast. Here's hoping for the best to both you chaps.
2004 Girly.

Drofsereb

Regarding your uninsured losses - I'm fairly sure there is a body established to cover these.  It's a sort of 'pool' that all insurance companies are forced to contribute to, and from which you can be compensated in circumstances such as yours.  It's worth asking your insurance company about, or perhaps your local citizens advice centre for more impartial assistance.  I just can't recall the name for the moment, but this service exists and is definitely worth persuing even though I've heard it takes a while (doesn't it always?).  

Good luck!

CormacG

Cripes! Bad luck BP. Where did it happen?

At least someone got the plate for you. You can go after the MiB not the Men in Black, no indeed, you want the Motor Insurance Bureau. Drofsereb was quite right. These guys take a cut of all UK insurance policies to cater for this sort of thing. I don't reckon you'll be able to retire on it though. Trouble is that a lot of these cars are driven by people with very little identity and it can be a hard slog to get the bastard to court. Makes my blood boil. My accident was at 2am with no witnesses so I couldn't apply for compensation.

To give you all an update on what's happening since my prang, I'm back at work now. Started again on Monday. Leg is at 80 degrees and I'm getting around on one crutch. Binned my leathers and helmet at the weekend and am currently disposing of my boxes.

Getting better all the time. I'll be back the in saddle in a while.

BP let us know what happens and if this guy gets away with it. It seems that far too often the guys without insurance, tax or anything get a slap on the wrist whilst the rest of us suffer.

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "CormacG"Cripes! Bad luck BP. Where did it happen?

At least someone got the plate for you. You can go after the MiB not the Men in Black, no indeed, you want the Motor Insurance Bureau. Drofsereb was quite right. These guys take a cut of all UK insurance policies to cater for this sort of thing. I don't reckon you'll be able to retire on it though. Trouble is that a lot of these cars are driven by people with very little identity and it can be a hard slog to get the bastard to court. Makes my blood boil. My accident was at 2am with no witnesses so I couldn't apply for compensation.

To give you all an update on what's happening since my prang, I'm back at work now. Started again on Monday. Leg is at 80 degrees and I'm getting around on one crutch. Binned my leathers and helmet at the weekend and am currently disposing of my boxes.

Getting better all the time. I'll be back the in saddle in a while.

BP let us know what happens and if this guy gets away with it. It seems that far too often the guys without insurance, tax or anything get a slap on the wrist whilst the rest of us suffer.

I was heading home northbound on Holloway Road. Southbound vehicle turned right fast into my path and I slammed into him 90 degrees.

Completely his fault. Witnesses got his plate but the po-lice haven't been able to trace him. I'll have to go the MIB route.

Regards

CormacG

I've seen this thing happen too many times. Chances are they'll trace the car to some dodgy bloke who'll say something like 'oh I sold that car last year', which he probably did, to another dodgy mate of his whose name he will not recall.

You need to keep on top of the rozzers because if you're still breathing your case won't be top of their list.

Good luck.