News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

why no 10W-50 ??

Started by Marc, March 20, 2011, 07:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I recently bought a Tiger 2003.  In my BMW K1 I always used 10W-50 full synthetic oil.  The Triumph service manual says: "Do not use 10W rated oils with a hot viscosity rating greater than 40.  For example, DO NOT use an oil 10W-50"

Any idea?
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Danny955i

It's got something to do with the friction modifiers in the oil.

10W-50 means it has the viscosity of a 10W when cold and of a 50W when hot...

So, it's probably due to seals, clutch materials, and engine configuration as a whole that the 50W will not allow proper heat distribution within the engine.

My manual says run Mobile 1 4T Motorcycle Full Synthetic 10W-40.

In a pinch, I did run Suzuki 4T Synthetic 10W-40... but that was only because it was all they had.

NKL

My handbook says "use 10w/40 or 15w/50 semi or fully synthetic motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SH (or higher) AND JASO MA" Thats all.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

iansoady

Why not just use what Triumph recommend?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sasquatch

Another oil thread.  Do I dare????

What the heck.

In conventional oils, the situation is like this, lets use 10w/40 for an example.  It is a 10w oil, that has viscosity improvers added to the mix that allows it to perform as a 40w oil would at the hot temp (forget what the actual temp is, but near 200 degrees I think).  So, in a nut shell, conventional multi grade oils are the lighter weight listed, 10w in my example, with VI stabilizers added to the mix so it only thins as much as a 40w oil would when hot.

Now, synthetics are the reverse, without anything added.  The same 10w/40 oil would actually be a 40w oil that flows as well as a conventional 10w oil at a really cold temp (whatever the test point is).  But here is the catch.  The synthetics need no added chemicals to do this, they do it naturally.

Mustang

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Another oil thread.  Do I dare????

What the heck.

:ImaPoser

NKL

Quote from: "iansoady"Why not just use what Triumph recommend?

Why use something just because Mobil pay Triumph to say use it, its no better than other similar oils on the market.
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

iansoady

You asked about viscosity not make. Any 10W/40 synthetic (or part-synthetic) would do.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

Quote from: "iansoady"You asked about viscosity not make. Any 10W/40 synthetic (or part-synthetic) would do.
about sums it up ..oil is oil , the only difference being the additive package that the different manufacturers add to it ...........some use more paraffin , or less , some get more ash , etc. etc
what it boils down to is if you have the right amount of oil you are good to go .
and the difference between regular dino oil and synthetic is : synthetic gets refined more so that all the molecules are guaranteed the same size  !

it all comes out of the same hole in the ground  :shock:

I think it's almost time to lump all of the oil threads together in 1 spot  :roll:

Timbox2

Quote from: "NKL"
Quote from: "iansoady"Why not just use what Triumph recommend?

Why use something just because Mobil pay Triumph to say use it, its no better than other similar oils on the market.

As it happens, Its Castrol now, theyve switched allegiance :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

iansoady

Quote from: "Mustang"I think it's almost time to lump all of the oil threads together in 1 spot  :roll:

You'd be able to see it from space!
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

NKL

just goes to show what a load of bungcam it is.
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Timbox2

Quote from: "NKL"just goes to show what a load of bungcam it is.

Yeah, what e said, whatever that is :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

topher0268

... yeah but ...

No one EVER did recommend which oil to use on my popcorn  :lol:
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

abruzzi

Quote from: "topher0268"... yeah but ...

No one EVER did recommend which oil to use on my popcorn  :lol:

WD-40.

Geof