News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HELP TRIUMPH 885 TIGER

Started by een705, March 20, 2011, 10:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

een705

Hi im new to this forum and hope you guys can help me out. Cleaned the jets were the floats are but havnt touched the diaphrams yet till I get more info. I have used new petrol from a bottle and changed all plugs. The engine would only start if I blocked both the air intakes then took my hand away to keep it from flooding. It would then rev okay but only while I partially covered intakes but I struggled to keep it running does anyone have any ideas on how to go about sorting this. I would have carried on but battery went flat.
Only other thing I noticed was the spark wasnt as good as I thought it would be but it did rev ok at times
Sorry for long first post and if you need more info let me know

CoolHandLuke

That's a short post by some standards :)

Was there a problem before you started working on the carbs?

On the Tiger, with the standard carb fitted, one side of the airbox should be blocked else you will get running issues.

JetdocX

Is your choke working?  Is the choke cable broken?  Is it even connected?  Are you using the choke at all?  Do you know what the choke is?
From parts unknown.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "JetdocX"Is your choke working?  Is the choke cable broken?  Is it even connected?  Are you using the choke at all?  Do you know what the choke is?
ROFL.  You owe me a new keyboard...

aeronca

welcome aboard 8) .  if both your snorkle's are open(air intkes), you need to cover one up - it's designed to only use one. also, if you think you have weak spark -  STOP!!!!!  you dont want to experience the Sprag r&r. buy three new nology coils and keep you battery fully charged.you sound like your preety deep into the carbs, so you might as well order new diaphrams - easy swap. good luck and keep us posted.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

MIMbox

Hi there, and welcome, you dont have to be mad to post here etc,etc.!!
DO NOT TRY TO START YOUR BIKE IF THE BATTERY IS LOW, OR KNOWN TO BE WEAK ENGINE STRIP IS LIKELY TO BE REQUIRED if you do. Starter SPRAG on later bikes is engine out job.
>>Yes I am shouting, sorry<<<
Before you go B*^$S deep into this, what was the condition before you touched it?
Did it run, was it laid up, has it ever done this before. These engines have many entertaining ways, to stop us getting bored.....and give us somewhere to donate our monies.
Whatever it is, someone WILL have had some experience of it, and we will all try to help.
Good luck, and don't have nightmares.

een705

Thanks for the help so far so to answer a few questions:- the bike has not run correctly for quite a while as the previous owner had put a new set of carbs on and said that it ran a little better but not much. I have seen the old carbs and the slides on the middle one was damaged beyond repair burnt I think from a backfire. When I went to buy it was running but starting seemed to be a problem and it did rev but the guy said it did have a spot were it hesitated.  Due to bad weather I haven't worked on it till now when it wouldn't start. It wasn't touched from Dec till now.  All the plugs are sparking but not as bigger spark as I would have thought. Surely not all the coils are shot.  The choke cable works and pulls the slider across so I presume all is well there. I will now block one of the air inlets does it matter which.  Is there a test with the coils. I stripped the carbs down as I wanted to eliminate air leaks and blockages of the jets and it did seem to be a relatively simple job.  As anybody got a spare set of coils to try would gladly pay postage here and back I know its cheeky to ask but if you don't ask you don't get.

CoolHandLuke

The dead spot would have been both sides of the airbox being open.  If so, it would have been around 5,000 RPM.

It doesn't matter which side, but it is normally the right hand side that is blocked (the airbox by the rear brake fluid reservoir).

If you can get a video of it running, however badly, it might help us to further diagnose the problem, if it persists.

JetdocX

Will it start with starter fluid?  Does it run better when warmed up (assuming you can even keep it running long enough)?  

When was the last time someone checked the valve clearances?  It may be running like this due to valve recession and it's hard to make cyclinder compression when the valve(s) are not closing all the way.  This problem generally goes away when the engine warms up because the clearance increases from engine thermal expansion.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Will it start with starter fluid?  Does it run better when warmed up (assuming you can even keep it running long enough)?  

When was the last time someone checked the valve clearances?  It may be running like this due to valve recession and it's hard to make cyclinder compression when the valve(s) are not closing all the way.  This problem generally goes away when the engine warms up because the clearance increases from engine thermal expansion.
this and coils is where you should be looking .............the carbs are probably fine .

een705

My next step is to block the intake up and try to start it. It did start if I put my hand over both intakes so crossed fingers see if it works. If it doesnt will take rocker cover off and check the clearances and report what I find here but it may be a few days before I get chance to work on it and if theres anything else someone can think off please post.

Thx guys

een705

Been working on the bike over the weekend and have resealed the air box and blocked the one side up and managed to get it started and the choke is now working. Will be post again when tank is on and fresh petrol in.

een705

Thanks for all replies the problem was traced to air leaks from the air box, middle carb not sealing right on the air box, linkage on middle carb not in place so it was running too lean. I never realised on engines how important it is to have the airbox sealed and there are no air leaks at all. Now its running going to get shock repaired at firefox Keighley and will post back when I ride the bike. I may still have some fine tuning issues.

Thx

Bixxer Bob

Progressing nicely then.... :)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

shack

As the new owner of Een's beast I'm happy to close this thread.
Thanks to his time and patience and some help from you guys, and a bit of cleaning and pushing from me, all appears to be well. :P