News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rocinante´s head transplant

Started by Rocinante, March 30, 2011, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Hey, I'm just taking commission, I gave you an even spread after all. And your mechanic must be good, he's defied The Book of Words and threw the bird at Common Sense and got off Scott Free. Ah well, if you don't bet you don't win. Nice to hear the Old Girl is still running :D

Rocinante

My mechanic hasn´t defied the book of words at all, he has followed it.  :lol:

I just spoke to him on another issue and mentioned the strong scepticism I´ve met here.

So he explained his attitude in more detail. What he has been taught (by Triumph I guess) is to reseal the liners if you disturb them when you remove the head.

Disturbing the liners happens extremely seldom (if you´re careful and aware of it) and when it does you will notice that one or more liner is slightly proud. If they´re stuck in the same position, use common sense and don´t touch them. The risk of a cracked seal is probably lower than the risk of doing something wrong in the resealing process. This is especially important to an amateur like me.

This method has been his rule of thumb for 15 years and he hasn´t registered a mistake yet.

That conversation made me confident in my decision again.8)

But hell, I´ll still let you know if I was wrong...

Fwiw
Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

BruKen

Fair doos but when I took the head off mine the head gasket had adhered to both surfaces. Removing it moved the liners. When putting them back in, the smallest engine rotation would lift them. They are not in tight without the head on by any means. Once again, its good to hear the old girl is still running :)

Rocinante

Then it came off quite differently than mine. When a tiny crack could be seen I slid a thin knife blade in above the head gasket and it let go of the head immediately. And when the head was off I could lift the gasket off without it being sticky at all.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com