News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

leaky fuel tap

Started by rybes, April 03, 2011, 05:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

just been out to check on me bike after its long ol trip yesty and have found a huge puddle of petrol on the floor. its leakin out the airbox so im guessin a float problem. as the ful tap was turned off im guessin thats lettin fuel throo. does anyone know of a rebuild kit or do i have to buy a new fuel tap from triumph at 75 quid  :shock:
cheers all
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

NeilD

Quote from: "rybes"does anyone know of a rebuild kit

nope...  :(

have a quick search on here though as theres a thread about using one from an XT Yamaha or similar ?  I think GavD fitted one?  or a Pingel - same price as the triumph OEM one, but rebuildable, reliable and most importantly is shiney  :)

D-Fuzz

I just replaced the o-ring in mine last year.  It cost me 10 cent and hasn't leaked a drop since.  It might be worth a try before you buy something else.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

NeilD

thought the O ring only stopped the leak out of the body of the tap rather than fuel getting through the tap into the carbs/airbox... ?

edit: Rybes. look here..

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... ght=#62398

rybes

cheers for the link neil. d fuzz, itr appears ive tried that but its leakin again. in the link neil sent i seem to have bragged about changin the o ring n it stopped leakin. didnt last too long tho :lol: so ill be lookin at it again when ive run out of petrol. have t wait till then, dont have enough cans to put a full tank in

CoolHandLuke

On the plus side, 45 MPG with a leak :)

jwray76

Not sure about the steamers petcock, but I am guessing it is vacuum actuated? If so and a spring keeps it normally closed it may be just the spring has gotten a bit compressed. On my old Suzuki this was the problem and all I had to do was remove the spring and stretch it out a bit and re-install. Then it had enough pressure to keep it closed again and no more problems.

Of course if your floats aren't sticking they should stop it from overflowing anyways. right?

Mustang

Quote from: "jwray76"Not sure about the steamers petcock, but I am guessing it is vacuum actuated?
nope ............it's more primitive ............... :D

rybes

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"On the plus side, 45 MPG with a leak :)

good point  :D  now off out to go take it apart n see what i can find

R0B

I've been looking for fuel taps for a while......and I've bought a few......the latest was a fancy vacuum tap from a 400 suzuki..........as it happens, I've now found a cheap suitable tap that's genuine OEM Yamaha stuff for around £20 delivered from the states. I'm pleased with it, and it should last forever.

Yam part number is 2GU-24500-02-00 which was advertised as a YAMAHA TTR250 WR250F 99-06 FUEL PETCOCK GAS TANK SWITCH

The seller has been excellent, and I'm sure if you look on ebay.com, you'll find the guy. £20 well spent........now I just need to sell all my spares :-)

Rob

MtheTiger

QuoteYam part number is 2GU-24500-02-00 which was advertised as a YAMAHA TTR250 WR250F 99-06 FUEL PETCOCK GAS TANK SWITCH

Great !
Is this a ready fit to the steamer tank?
That would B very nice because mine's keeps leaking (drippin') like an old fart with a prostate condition allthough I have fitted a new (!) petcock :evil:

Cheers

M
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

R0B

I'll take a picture and post it up here

Rob

MtheTiger

Thank you Sir, this would B most appreciated !
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

R0B

I've done about 1300 miles on this, and it works a treat. No fuel starvation, as the outlet is the same size as the Tiger and when you forget to turn it on, the bike actually stops :-)

fishnbiker

Wow! It's help like this that will become ore important to us all as these old Steamers start to age. My old beast has so many similar mods I hardly recognize it when looking at a stock Steamer.

Thanks for sharing this one,
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE