News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Slider Flanged Spacer

Started by 97tiger885, April 08, 2011, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

My new chain slider fell off last night.  I am guessing I undertightened the nut.  I lost the flanged spacer.  I have gone from papa bear to mama bear.  (See "Wellnut Hell".)  My question concerns the bolt/spacer arrangement for the chain slider.  I only see one tab to hang the slider.  A short bolt-maybe 1/2"- and nut would suffice; yet, the bolt is 1 3/4" and comes with a flanged spacer.  What is the purpose of the long bolt/spacer?  Am I missing a tab?  Are there supposed to be two tabs with the spacer and slider between the two tabs and the nut fastened outside the second?  Is there something special about this spacer so that I need the Triumph part or will any spacer of proper length work?

Mustang

there is only 1 mounting tab on the frame , the purpose of the flanged spacer is for stability against the tab , more surface area to sit on in theroy will make it less prone to side flex as the chain moves over the block at 80 mph trying to destroy everything in its path .

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"there is only 1 mounting tab on the frame , the purpose of the flanged spacer is for stability against the tab , more surface area to sit on in theroy will make it less prone to side flex as the chain moves over the block at 80 mph trying to destroy everything in its path .

Here is a photo of the tab:  

This is fine?  That would be good news.  I was thinking welding.  

Here is a photo of the mc:

I wanted to remove the slider bolt, but the gear shift mount was in the way.  I couldn't remove the gear shift w/o removing the sump protector.  The sump protector is difficult to remove because of the NZ engine guards.  (And I broke off the head of one of bolts) That is fixed by removing the coolant/antifreeze line, but that means the tank (which of course I just filled) must come off to refill the radiator...which means the plastic comes off.   All for one bolt...which it turns out does come off w/o moving the gear shift.

++++++
Jon

Mustang

your tab is exactly like they made it ............. :D

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"your tab is exactly like they made it ............. :D

Cool.  Thanks.  Has anyone thrown out the sleeve and used a shorter bolt to fasten the slider?   Does the flange make a difference?

++++

Jon

CoolHandLuke

The flanged sleeve is the exact same part as the flanged sleeves that help hold the rear light on (the original part number has been superseded).

On my old slider, I just used a larger washer and squashed the rubber :)

This time, I actually paid £2(!!!) for the flanged sleeve.

I'll grab a photo of it.

NeilD

if you leave the sleeve out then the slider wont line up with the chain - I guess that means it wont wear out, but your chain will clank about  :D

I dont remember taking the foot peg off to do mine last time, may well've done or just managed to wiggle it out?  but in any case, I've just been and looked at mine and cant see why you need to totally remove the sumpguard? the footpeg hanger just shares one common bolt at the front which isnt obscured by the Thunderbike crashbars?? after spending a fair amount of time, and a full quota of sweary words fitting my thunderbike bars, they're staying on come what may!   :D

CoolHandLuke

Fsck me.  I am getting slider and rub strip mixed up again(!).

I was thinking of the flanged sleeve for the bolt on the top of the rub strip.  I take it we are not talking about that?

NeilD

i presumed by the pic and the description the slider underneath, rather than the rub strip thats mounted on the swingarm..  :?

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "NeilD"i presumed by the pic and the description the slider underneath, rather than the rub strip thats mounted on the swingarm..  :?
I couldn't really tell what was in the photo :)

97tiger885

Quote from: "NeilD"if you leave the sleeve out then the slider wont line up with the chain - I guess that means it wont wear out, but your chain will clank about  :D

I dont remember taking the foot peg off to do mine last time, may well've done or just managed to wiggle it out?  but in any case, I've just been and looked at mine and cant see why you need to totally remove the sumpguard? the footpeg hanger just shares one common bolt at the front which isnt obscured by the Thunderbike crashbars?? after spending a fair amount of time, and a full quota of sweary words fitting my thunderbike bars, they're staying on come what may!   :D

Looking again, I now understand the need for the spacer.  You are right; it is a locator to make sure the chain runs over the slider.  I didn't have a spacer, so I have used a bunch of washers...200 miles and so far so good.  You are also correct about the common bolt...that is the one I broke forcing me to remove the sump so that I could drill out the stuck bolt.  The difficult bolt to access is the front left side above the sump pump bar and the below the Thunderbike guard bottom.  It is tough to get a socket on that bolt,  near impossible to get a box or open-ended wrench on it.  After much struggling I got a socket wrench in there.  Now I have an allen key head bolt in there.  Still tough to get but much better.  Regarding removing the Thunderbike guards, damn straight...not the nightmare I want to revisit.  Thanks for the help (and humor).