News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

JB Weld

Started by Bixxer Bob, April 18, 2011, 05:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Read so many good things on here about JB Weld decided to give it a try as I need a quick repair in an awkward place so can't get to it to use HTS 2000 brazing rods.

My Nissan 4x4 air con packed in.  After a visit to the dealer, which was never going to be pleasant, he said a pipe to the rear system under the floor was leaking.  Cost of the replacement pipe £400, cost of replacing it £800  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:   apparently they have to take the body off the chassis to do it....  WTF!!!

So I had a look under there myself...... can't get to the leak to braze it, but I reckon a bit of JB Weld in the hole, then wrapping it in aluminium speed tape (aircraft bods will know what I mean) and finishing off with a jubilee clip directly over the repaired hole should hold it.  At worst, I waste an aircon system charge.  and this approach used to work as battle damage repair to aircraft hydraulics except we used an epoxy patch instead of JB Weld.  Here's hoping  :)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

as long as you leave it to cure at least 24 hours before you pressurize the ac you should have success .

I have seen JB Weld fix dime and nickel size holes in Honda 450 clutch covers that were supposed to be only temporary fixes but they are still there as the repair on some of the bikes .
 great stuff it is  :wink:

outrunner

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"My Nissan 4x4 air con packed in.

Open the bloody window, job done!  :wink:  :D

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

Bixxer Bob

Issue just got worse, although no harder to fix.  The heater pipes that run with the air con pipes also have a leak, water glycol everywhere.  This is more serious as I can't use it until that leak is fixed.  :evil:

Easier to find tho :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Take the body off?  Sounds like the engineering director for the steamer found gainful employment at Nissan following his stint at Triumph.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

rybes

Quote from: "nickcalne"Take the body off?  Sounds like the engineering director for the steamer found gainful employment at Nissan following his stint at Triumph.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

cosmo

He's right, you DO have to raise the body to replace. And by that, I know you have a Pathfinder.
We do a lot of these at the dealer where I am employed.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Bixxer Bob

Cosmo, spot on, 2006 Pathfinder R51; is this a common fault then?  My dealer didn't know if it was.  Effing expensive either way....  I've not had a look at the aircon leak yet as it's not where the dealer originally told me (that turned out to be the coolant leak - doesn't help your confidence :roll: ).  Apparently it's under the crossmember somewhere so I guess that cuts down the chances of me fixing it, or a vehicle aircon company either.  Is it usually the solid pipework, or the flexible part that leaks?  I've sucessfully repaired the coolant leak so the aircon one will be next.

Oh, and maybe you can advise on topping up the coolant please?  Dealer wouldn't say whether any antifreeze would do, insists I should use Nissan premixed which is effing expensive.... do you see a trend here???

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"insists I should use Nissan premixed which is effing expensive.... do you see a trend here???

Yea !! don't buy a NISSAN !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

JetdocX

Sounds like a BMW dealer. :roll:
From parts unknown.

cosmo

I sent a PM, and will answer back in detail on the morrow, after I enquire further.

I'm not a tech, but I play one on the telly  :)

Seriously, I'll get the answers!

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.