News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

V Strom 1000 V's Tiger

Started by qbto, May 08, 2011, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbto

I've been lurkin on here for a while thinking about getting myself a 955 I was looking at getting a 1050 but the misses is a short arse and can't get on board without a step ladder. So I plan on keeping my ZZR1100 for two up use and getting someting else for solo use. Budget wont run to a 1050 without selling the ZZR so a 955 is on the cards, but a mate suggested a V-Strom DL1000 after he rented on in New Zealand.  

Now I know you guys might be slighly biased but as anyone tried a VStrom ?

John Stenhouse

Yep, didn't like it, not keen on V Twins at all so I'm biased to start. Seemed to have no character and if you ride a 955 then the engine is the bit that will sell it, they are amazing. Then also you get this great site for all the foibles the cat will bring with it.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Always think it's all a bit predictable going on a one make site asking opinions!!,so will try a more level approach.

With exception of the gixxers always felt Suzuki do budget,the V strom in either guise reflects that,both have good engines and the bikes get the job done and while not object and coming from a Tiger owner :oops: ,not pleasant to look at either,but very able nontheless.

Triumph brought out the 885i in 99 and it was such a success :cry:  rushed out the 955 in 2001 and it most certainley has been,in both wire wheel and the mag version,the 3 cylinder engine when set up is a real gem,if you get the chance to ride either a KTM SMT or a Duc Multistrada both engines have a little more about them,but that also includes the price,and no doubt Triumph will hope to combat that with the new 1200 that is on the horizon.

A 955 will sit well with your ZZR,I found boredom is the biggest culprit for changing bikes,you'll have a nice combo that will take ajusting too when you change over from one bike to the other,just a case of which version 955 you look for.

Oh!! and my other half couldn't get on a 1050 either.

qbto

Get what your saying about V twins John, I test rode a Caponord many years ago and found I had to use a lower gear than I normaly would when riding in town because it was so lumpy at low revs. And I had a very quick spin on a mates Varadero and it was much better but it's a H*nda    :shock:

Chris: Agree about asking about "other" bikes on a one make forum but I also posted on the V Strom site   :P

I've test rode all the older Tigers, Steamer and both 900 and 955 Girly's
Love the character of the Steamer but its a big ole bus, the 900i I wasnt so keen on found it bland, the 955's extra performance and smooth low speed running was great but at the time I decided I needed a change from Triumphs so I bought a GS, which the misses also had problems getting on.

The wifes just started going pillion again after years of not bothering, GS being to tall, the ZZR is fine for her, so stuck now between buying a Tiger/Vstrom to go with the ZZR or selling the ZZR getting a newer Sports Tourer (FJR?) and an older dual sports Steamer/DR/KLR etc

daveb

just my 2pence worth, have you thought of a parallel twin?  if not have a look at a TDM900, as the guys said you posted on a one make forums.

have a look at a commuting website, there are all different types of bikes and riders, they might give a bit of an unbiased view.
Try http://dashack.co.uk/go/index.php

I moved from a parallel Twin (TDM850) to a triple (tiger 955i).  going from a twin to a triple after 10years on the TDM (65,000miles covered) I prefer the Tiger, this could be down to its is newer and things have moved on.

The DL I know a few guys who got the DL650, just remember Suzuki build the bike to a budget. I found the Yamaha quality better than the suzuki but that's could just be my opinion.  Honda tend to use Small fuel tank from what I remember.

qbto

After more research and head scratching I'm now actively looking for a 955 Tiger. I prefer the look of the Steamers but want 955 performance.  Decided against the Vstrom cause it would mean laser tattoo removal

Tigertriple

Here's my contribution on the choice of bikes. I have owned over 100 + bikes since 1976 from a 50cc to a 1300cc. I started very young :wink: In my opinion the 955 Tiger is one of the best bikes I have ever owned as it's a all rounder. It is the the most fun bike to ride and never fails to put a smile on my face. My only regret is not buying one sooner. It's easy to work on by yourself so you don't have to depend on main dealers. I have had a couple of V twins and V fours and prefer the triple to all of them.

Not wishing to offend any Suzuki owners, the V Strom in my opinion is way below the Tiger in all aspects. It is a cheaply made machine and difficult to work on. So I would not buy one, but this is merely my opinion. I'm sure many Strom riders will have a negative opinion of the Tiger.

In your case Triumph is under your skin, so why defect to the dark side.
I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

All the best  :occasion14
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

TigerTrax

It's pretty well known the an ODD number of cylinders in an internal combustion engine runs much smoother and has good, smooth, acceleration at almost any RPM. That's good for the internal parts that also move when the engine is put through its paces.

The comments on this thread mirror my thoughts on the 955i. My 2006... as much as I can find to bitch about Triumph... that bike performs so well whatever you ask it to do.

Mercedes Benz 5 cylinder engine is used for all types of vehicles and they perform flawlessly. A good example is the Dodge Sprinter (USA)... used by all kinds of Courier Services; Contractors; FedEx; UPS; DHL.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

D-Fuzz

When I started looking for bigger bike to replace my DR650, I have to admit the V-Strom was my initial first choice.  I had the opportunity to ride my friend's Strom, and I thought it was a pretty decent bike.  Certainly seemed to check a lot of the boxes I had.  I ended up buying a Steamer and I thank my lucky stars everyday that I did.  I have yet to ride a 955i Tiger, but I can't imagine a V-Strom having many advantages over it.  My Tiger just makes me grin, whether I am riding it or just looking at it.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Chris Canning

I've(we'v) had the 955 Tiger 10 years this month from new,there isn't a country in western Europe  I(we) haven't been too always ridden two up and always viewed it as a long distance runner,but as good as it is and my comparison is with other bikes I own so there's no rose tinted glasses,were the Tiger does loose out against a big twin is mid range grunt and to get the best from it needs to ridden in a certain kind of way,over 500/600 mile day still our preference and we have two other bigger bikes.

aeronca

i like the vstrom 1000, but perfer the tiger, handles a little better, engine is way snappier, vstrom's low end torque i thought was a lot better. over all, the tiger is a nicer ride - to each his own.  I HATED THE WEE-STROM 650.an absolutly stupid bike :roll: (gutless)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

zebulonsmith

I don't think you'll be disappointed with a Girly. I tried out a V-Strom and the best way I could describe it compared to a Tiger is "mushy." The suspension felt squishy, the engine felt sloppy, etc. I bought my 03 about four years ago with 12k miles on it. It's sitting in the garage with 54k right now and I've really not had to do any major repairs. There are a few things to watch for (leaky fuel connectors on the tank and stator/voltage regulator come to mind), but all in all it's been a cheap bike to operate. Just make sure to check out the thread about cross-referencing parts. For example, a pair of OEM Triumph brake pads is $60 at my local shop. The EBC or Braking equivalent is about $15 if you shop around. I think the only OEM parts I've bought have been the bits that are specific to a Tiger like the fuel sending unit and fuel pump assembly (which are also common points of failure). Don't let that scare you though, every bike has something that commonly goes wrong. Overall it's a very solid bike, mine has been abused worse than most and has never left me stranded.

If you're looking for something to bomb down single track trails like a dirtbike, you might be a little disappointed. On the other hand, you're not going to do that on a V-Strom either. The Tiger is great on rough back roads though, handles fantastic on pavement and goes like a rocket. All that and I can still stuff camping gear for me and my wife in the factory luggage and take off for a couple of weeks without worrying about getting stranded.

qbto

I've been very tempted to buy a mates Steamer as a work/winter bike It's just had a new Hagon and a years mot. One of the first models with 50,000 miles showing bit rough around the edges but would fit the bill.

aeronca

the steamer is a different animal than a girly, with different problems(all minor except the SPREG :shock: ). im nearing  60,000  on mine and love the thing to death. if it's running well and the price is right - snap it up. you wont be sorry. 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

qbto

Yip Steamer is with out doubt a different animal to the Girly, I rode my mates and loved it and I only went about 3 miles.  :D

Unfortunately I've changed my mind on the direction I'm taking with my bikes. I've decided to get a FJR1300 for me n the misses and european touring and then look for a Steamer for a ride to work and winter bike.
The cash I have is earmarked for a FJR so the steamer will need to wait till I sell my ZZR1100.

pssst, don't tell anyone but I prefer the Steamer to all other Tigers