News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another leaking tank

Started by Hame, May 10, 2011, 11:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hame

New to the site and Steamers(but have a T160 and assorted old european paraphenalia.)

I picked up a 95 black steamer that has had a set of m6 clinch nuts bonded into the offside tank base,but as they are open and not blind,AND the drilling has gone through the tank wall,as you can imagine,the fuel is pouring out.
New tank is £440 +V,used tank in USA for $100 plus maybe the same to ship it to Cornwall,OR a canny repair that sits with my smug/mean Scottish engineers psyche?
I was planning to clean the inside of the offside lower inner tank with acetone,then flood the same with a pint of epoxy to cover the gutter shape in the tank behind the nuts.
My doubts are
1 is acetone too aggressive on the polyamide?
2 will epoxy have the bulk properties to both stick to, and move with the tank,and resist the fuel?
Has anyone experience?I am considering routing a slot along the bottom three nuts to allow better preparation and placement of the epoxy,then replacing the nuts after the bulk repair is cured in the manner posted elsewhere here.
Your thoughts appreciated.[/i]

rybes

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

BruKen

JB Weld is your friend.

nightrunner

Routing a slot sounds like major surgery.  But if its already been repaired shoddily, then maybe its best.  What about filling in the entire volume around the nuts with fiberglass?  You would not lose much fuel capacity and it would make for stout thread bosses.  

Don't know about acetone on fiberglass.  You could check chemical compatibility tables from the chemical lab suppliers, such as Cole Parmer, VWR, and Fisher.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

akendall1966

Araldite 2011 is petrol resistant made stainless bush and glued it in from the outside been good for 2 years now
----AK-----

Hame

Thanks for your responses.I chickened when another tank came up(thanks to your link and my sons sangue froid),but in the spirit of adventure,and because the acetone/epoxy is here because of boatbuilding,I flooded the tank last night.After a decent cure,I will try fuel in it and report back. Araldite 2011/JB weld's qualities noted.

The rear shock has gone off to Falcon for a reseal,an e-bay rear  disc is on its way to replace the cracked one,as it appears the caliper has been dragging(cleaned the pistons, greased the sliding dowels,changed the fluid).

Will need to do the fork seals soon.I hope the sliders will come off the staunchions when still in the clamps,but if not...

I have only ridden this bike for 500 yds so far(!),but I think we are going to be good friends;that growl reminds me of my old T150.Wish I hadn't sold that.....looking forward to being back on the road.

Hasta luego Amigos

leaky

Just in case this is any help (!!??) to anyone......my Steamer has gone now but I was left with an old tank which I had early on tried unsuccessfully to repair before giving up and getting a replacement (previous owner had drilled though original tank when aiming for seized up fastener...)
Photos show front and rear sections and the region around where the fuel tap fixes on after I'd cut the tank in half.  Wall thickness varies from ~7mm near the top to not much more than 2mm (!!) near the creases where the side panels fit. The overflow vent pipe is a moulded in copper(?) pipe (which I also cut through) and can be seen in the photos.
BTW - this tank had originally been 'repaired' with epoxy. I tried to weld in nylon rod etc after thoroughly cleaning but couldn't completely stop leak (even when testing on water).  Good luck to anyone who tries !

rf9rider

Thanks.
Never seen the inside of a Tiger tank before  :lol:

Although i expected the walls to be a bit thicker than they are

Hame

ello me lovers,

I never came back with any feedback about me leakin tank,from Mar last year.Shame on me.

Well,I did the half pint of epoxy down each tank gutter trick(make it good and runny so it wets well and runs like a pint of Tribute,not too much silica powder then.Find some thing absorbing to do whilst it reacts-----think removing the airbox,and pour in a trial gallon of fuel.I'm delighted to report after nearly a year that nothing has yet leaked out.
EPOXY 'tis proper wondrous.Holds me ol wooden ship together too.

Get out there while the sun is out my boys.

Hame XX