News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chains

Started by Spud, May 11, 2011, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Quote from: "ChazzyB"
Quote from: "Spud"Spoken to a second "Triumph trained" mechanic and he has said that although he always recommends the sprockets are changed with the chain it is not always necessary as the quality of the sprockets now a days are so good they can last a long time. cheers Spud  :wink:

Strange innit. I have taken to replacing the gearbox sprocket *before* the chain wears out. I've got one waiting on the shelf to go on next week before a trip to the Alps. Makes the transmission feel so much better, and all for the price of a few pints. Mind you, the OEM gearbox sprocket is mega-bucks.

Yeah, think the OE one has a rubber damper built on
2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

when I went for the MOT recently I was told the chain is on its way out or is knackered, its only done 10,000 miles.   6000 miles i have covered, and 5000 miles with a scottoiler.

so it will be a complete set of C & S.

dunno if its something to do with the roads I use 13 roundabouts within 15 miles. or how hard the bike was ridden before I bought it. as I had to replace the pads when I got it and the rear tyre after 4125 miles.

I will have a better idea when I change the c & s

daveb

just had the Chains and Sprockets fitted by M & P's DID x-ring gold,

they told me the original front sprocket nut was only hand tight,  :shock:

all sorted now.

Bixxer Bob

Front sprocket nuts seem to be an enigma.  Some are so tight you bust breaker bars on them, others are - like yours - only hand tight.  As long as the tab washer was done up properly it would be ok :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

daveb

Bixxer Bob

Ok, I give in, what am I supposed to be looking at??
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

lucifer

first my apologies to Chris.

Second, I have just fitted a 19T front sprocket and wow what a difference! Each gear seems to have greater range and 5th becomes a really dam good A road gear.

My question is, why oh why did Triumph not fit the bike with this set up from the start (or at least offer it as an option)? It seems to make little difference in the lower gears but as you move up it becomes a much happier bike.

CP.

deepsouthtiger

lucifer,  I am in the market for a sprocket/chain swap as well.  20,000 + plus on my current (stock) set.  
You mention the 19T front, did you alter the rear?
ALso I am looking at chains, MANY choices.....any brand recommendations here?
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

Spud

Just MOT'd bike at 22k and was told chain and sprockets are fine to continue with, the mechanic just adjusted the chain for me  :)  cheers Spud  :wink: