News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Three spoke wheel conversion

Started by R0B, May 25, 2011, 07:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R0B

With president Obama so busy in London, I decided today that I should likewise get busy. My engine is back together, and needed putting back in, and I wanted to get on with the 3 spoke conversion.

As I am not an engineering wizard, I decided to go along the route of putting Tiger stanchions into Trophy sliders, using sprint yokes with an LSL clamp kit and a complete sprint wheel, spindle speedo assembly et all.

I got a mate of mine to swap the forks about a few weeks ago and I have everthing else to hand. Rear wheel went in just as advertised here by other posters. The bottom yoke and top yoke went in place nicely and the forks also slotted in nicely.............. the however bit is that the top yoke hits the clock bracket, thus restricting the steering somewhat........so I'm going to have to get some engineering done after all, and my cunning plan is Kaput!!

I have a mate who's an engineer coming to have a look this weekend, but I'll post some pictures and if anyone has done it this way and can enlighten me, or has any good ideas, please feel free to chime in.

Rob

NeilD

oow thats a bit of a bugger.. but looks like a neat conversion hope theres an easy way around it...  8)

rf9rider

Rob, when i spoke to Sandy at Triumphant, he told me that the only yokes that would work were the early Speed Triple and the Adventurer and Legend yokes. (I have the Speed Triple on mine)

I have a set of Legend yokes to put on my other project bike, they seem to fit ok with no issues.

Suppose the only way around your problem is to try and put some spacers under the clock bracket to lift it up?

Where exactly do the yokes catch?

And i suppose you know about getting an extended speedo cable?

R0B

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. Is there ant chance that you could take me a picture of yours? I have a thunderbird top yoke, which is the same as the adventurer/legend, so I'll offer it up. I've looked at some early speed triples, and they appear to be the clip on variety, I wonder if they need further modification?

Rob

R0B

I forgot to say, the yoke is catching on the underneath of the clock mounting bracket.........it looks to be about 5/6mm high. The only option I could see using the standard yoke would be to machine this from the underneath......there isn't any option to pack it out, as unfortunately it's the welded part of the subframe.............everything else clears with no problem........

Rob

rybes

if ya usin tiger stanchions, can ya not use a tiger yoke instead of the sprint ones ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Rob, the yokes i have are from the early Speed Triple with the flat bar conversion, a bit rare and hard to get hold of apparently?

Your Thunderbird top yoke should work ok, it`s the same as the Legend etc, although the handlebar clamps are a little further forward, meaning your handlebars will be about an inch further away from you as you sit on the bike.

I`ll take a couple of pics over the weekend if you still need them by then.

Looking at your pics again, it looks like the front part of the yokes where the clamp bolts go through sticks out, is this whats catching?

rf9rider

Quote from: "rybes"if ya usin tiger stanchions, can ya not use a tiger yoke instead of the sprint ones ?

Can`t use the original yokes as the forks sit further apart with the 3 spoke wheel.  :)

rf9rider

Rob, heres the Legend TT top yoke i have, if you compare it to your Sprint yoke, you`ll see the clamp bolts are at the back, so will fit  without catching the clock frame?

rybes

Quote from: "rf9rider"
Quote from: "rybes"if ya usin tiger stanchions, can ya not use a tiger yoke instead of the sprint ones ?

Can`t use the original yokes as the forks sit further apart with the 3 spoke wheel.  :)

aaaaaaaaaaaaah ok  :wink:

after spendin 30 mins a wheel cleanin each spoke and all the awkward corners on the hubs in the wheels, it got me thinkin bout 3 spoke conversion. been lookin throo for a good side on pic of a steamer with 3 spokes but cant find one. anyone got one. sorry t hijack ya post rob.

MtheTiger

Check my conversion here:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8107&start=60

I used the tiger forks though as Mustang did....
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

Quote from: "rybes"been lookin throo for a good side on pic of a steamer with 3 spokes but cant find one. anyone got one. sorry t hijack ya post rob.

R0B

Thanks for the replies.

Mark.............you're quite right, it's the top yoke clamp that's catching..........I offered up my TB stuff this morning, and you're right, it's a fit, but will also need the bottom yoke (and of course painting black!!)....I'll have to see if the tiger bar risers fit.

I've asked around about the triple  top yoke............not common and £120 new.

Rob

rybes

cheers for the pics and links  8)  now i jus gotta do some decidin :icon_scratch

rf9rider

At least now you know the problem.
There were a few bottom yokes on Ebay, although i may need the handlebar clamp as well as i haven`t yet tried the Steamer bar clamps in the Legend yokes.