News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Three spoke wheel conversion

Started by R0B, May 25, 2011, 07:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R0B

I had a root through my garage tonight, and found some TB bits.....top and bottom yoke........decided to just go ahead and install them. For info, the tiger handlebar clamps fit straight in. I've attached some pictures........in a nutshell, better, but not perfect. The top yoke does now clear the subframe, but would still clunk on the underside of the plastic clock surround, which will have to be relieved-probably have the lip removed at the front (Mark.....please would you mind having a look at your to see if anything was trimmed to help with the clearance). The TB top yoke looks like it needs the speedo mounting lugs machining off to help the cables have somewhere to live......I'm going to try and get that bit done over the next few days. The other negative of the TB bottom yoke is that it doesn't have a mounting for the cable splitter.........I'm going to run with the TB stuff, but keep and eye out for the speed triple bits........just out of interest.

R0B

and look at this as a way to spend cash!!.....................

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/3376 ... Conversion

rf9rider

Those MFW yoke kits are decent quality, had a set on my YZF750, and Jack Lilley does a similar conversion kit, can`t remember the price.

I`ve just been out and measured the Speed Triple yokes, they`re 25mm thick, maybe the TB yokes are thicker and catching the clock bracket?

Good info about the TB yokes, i`ve only fitted them to my spare, bare frame, so you know more than me about them!

As for the brake cables, i`m fitting two single brake lines and doing away with the splitter, i`ll look into that problem when and if it arises, although still getting a few bits now and then ready for next winter when i start the new project.

My Speed Triple yokes don`t foul anywhere, the clocks/bracket are standard as it came with the standard wheels and yokes when i bought it, i`ve done the conversion myself so i know i haven`t had to mod anything to fit the yokes.

I have a spare set of Tiger bar clamps, so glad to know they fit ok.  :)

rf9rider

And heres another one for Rybes, i now have the same wheels on mine as the 3 spoke rims i had on were leaking around the rim, they just need sand blasting and repainting,

Not my bike, just a pic i found on the net.

R0B

Having looked closely at the TB yokes today, I'm not sure that they are going to be a success story. I think that the difference in thickness of the yoke is the key, and I would think you'd struggle to safely remove that much material. I have ended up ordering the replacement top yoke, and I'm going to use that with the sprint bottom yoke................. If you get a minute Mark, please could you get a photo of the top yoke from your bike.

Thanks

Rob

rf9rider

I`ll get a pic in the morning after work.

rf9rider

Here you go Rob.
Need anything else just ask.

R0B

Thanks for the pics................I have a feeling that the yoke is an american spec speed triple..............I read that they were fitted with bars, not clip ons........I think that these could be the ones...but then maybe not, as they are for the later speed triple...................

rf9rider

Rob, i got all my info from Sandy at Triumph-ant.

Might be worth you giving him a call, he`s a good, friendly man.

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/

BruKen

Sorry to butt in guys. What are the advantages regarding handling by doing this conversion? I have been tweaking my suspension for the last couple of months and pretty much have it spot on. The only weakness at present is in tight S bends where the bike is hard work to pick up and drop over for direction change. I've written this off as being high center of gravity and top heavy but am receptive to mods that could alleviate this.

rf9rider

Haven`t had time to ride a lot yet, but it handles way much better than the spoke wheels.
As Mustang says, it rides like its on rails.

rf9rider

Rob, mystery solved about my top yoke.
I removed the  top yoke this morning, what a pain in the ass, it seems the yoke is a standard Trident one, the old bar holes have been filled and welded, and underneath, the bottom part of the yoke where the bar clamp bolts go through has been built up with weld and smoothed off, the top part of the bar clamp mounts also have been welded on.
Looks a decent enough job as it does look standard from the top!
Never noticed this when i did the swap, was in too much of a hurry to get the front end fitted.
Had a look at the LegendTT yoke i have, i can`t see a problem removing the offending lugs at the front?
Heres a couple of pics.

R0B

Hi Mark, thanks for going to all that effort....................what I can't understand is why yours clears the clock subframe and mine doesn't. Do you have both locknuts for the bottom yoke on? I can't imagine that your subframe is different, or that it's been raised, as it would throw everything else out............looking at the picture, has the lip on the bottom of the yoke been removed where the stem goes through?

Rob

rf9rider

No problem, its all back together again, it was bugging me too.
I have both locknuts on the stem.
I`ve just compared my clock frame to yours, theres no difference.
Only thing i can think of is the Sprint yokes have the holes for the stanchions further forward than mine, making it catch the frame?
I take it the Thunderbird forks didn`t catch the frame, just the clock mounting plate?
How do the fork holes to stem distance compare on the TB and the Sprint?

rf9rider

Out of interest, have you tried using the TB top yoke with the Sprint bottom yoke?
This would tell you if the holes are further forward?