News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Temperamental fuel gauge

Started by Milligan, May 25, 2011, 09:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milligan

Here goes with my first proper post, hope it makes sense.
I noticed on a ride that my fuel gauge was not working (2001 955i) It came back on after a couple of stops but only for a few minutes. With my limited technical ability I checked connections into the gauge and the sensor at the side of the tank and sprayed with contact cleaner, no joy except for lights on the dash.
Took it to a garage and it appears the gauge works sometimes, resistances checked and appear to be ok on the gauge and sensor, mechanic doesn't know what the problem is, any ideas please?

PS I've had my Tiger 14 months now and never heard the term 'Girly' how come?

Mustang

Quote from: "Milligan"Here goes with my first proper post, hope it makes sense.
I noticed on a ride that my fuel gauge was not working (2001 955i) It came back on after a couple of stops but only for a few minutes. With my limited technical ability I checked connections into the gauge and the sensor at the side of the tank and sprayed with contact cleaner, no joy except for lights on the dash.
Took it to a garage and it appears the gauge works sometimes, resistances checked and appear to be ok on the gauge and sensor, mechanic doesn't know what the problem is, any ideas please?

PS I've had my Tiger 14 months now and never heard the term 'Girly' how come?
the sender in the tank sticks ...........known issue with the Girly bikes .
some work fine some , not so much .

Girlies are ol skool from the late 90's on the Yahoo Tiger forum .

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Milligan"I've had my Tiger 14 months now and never heard the term 'Girly' how come?

http://www.mbike.com/triumph/tiger-955i ... hoto-12789

looks like eyebrows on the lights !!  :lol:

use the search button at top of page for ( fuel gauge ) and you should find more than enough info  :D

KK

ps Welcome to TT.com  :occasion14
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Milligan

Based on observations here and elsewhere I'm getting a new sender, fitting tomorrow, if it arrives! Heres to hoping that that is what the problem was. Thanks for the help.

Putts255

A lot easier to do than I thought it would be.

You will have it done in less than 15 minutes.  Just make sure the one you get has the black float and not white.  These are the newer ones.

Mine works great since I changed it out last month.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

walker

I have had the wires at the bottom work loose as well - I could wiggle them and sometimes get a connection (testing it with an ohm meter).

I cut the sending unit apart, and the solder joints where the wires connect to the circuit board had come loose. Newer one may help, but this was on a 2006 model.

The new unit hasn't had a problem since then.

Sasquatch

I have an odd one that is heat related.  2001 955i.  On hot days, after filling up, gauge will go to full, then slowly drop to E, then back to F, then slowly to E, the cycle repeats for a while.  Does not do it at all when cold.

Replaced sender, cleaned connections, still does it.

I am going to change the wire from the ECM to the gauge and see what that does.

Milligan

Further to an earlier post re a wonky fuel gauge.....All the indications were that the poblem was the fuel sender backed up by opinion on here and the RAT forum. Got a new sender, fitted it.....same problem. The fuel gauge sometimes flickers into life when the ignition is on and very quickly dies again, just as with the original sender, haven't been far to see if the gauge comes on as normal occaisionally as it did before but I'd put money on it. If its not the sender what else could it be?

Mustang

get out the circuit diagram from your owners manual and start tracing the wiring.........won't surprise me if you find broken /weak solder joints at the key switch .

Bixxer Bob

:lol: And you could PM Sasquach, his is exactly the same.... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Milligan

Not a flicker for ages and then.....yesterday it came on.....stayed on nearly all morning through two or three stops and starts.....then it went off again....Help!!

chairhead

I had the same problem ,only mine was in the ECU,check the black block connector that goes into the ECU,i hope that its not that.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Milligan

Well..........Fuel gauge gone from being totally inactive to working properly for the first five or ten minutes of a ride then going off, second start working and going off straight away, sometimes the fuel light comes on too. Not touched a thing, have I got a Girly ghost??

KuzzinKenny

Hey Milligan !! did ya check yer ECU ?? remove it from the undertray ( you can leave it plugged in to do this ) and check the underside of it !! is it rusty  :shock: is there a hole in the undertray ?? fill the hole with silicone sealant and if the rust is just on the surface coat it with ACF-50 or simmilar !!

if its rotten  :shock: go check chairhead's post  :shock:

good luck !!

KK

ps if everythin look ok, try some Redex injector cleaner as it might lube yer fuel gauge   :?
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Milligan

Faulty fuel gauge...not!! For three or four days now the thing has been (touch wood) working properly....not touched it....go fathom!