News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Temperamental fuel gauge

Started by Milligan, May 25, 2011, 09:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Quote from: "Milligan"Faulty fuel gauge...not!! For three or four days now the thing has been (touch wood) working properly....not touched it....go fathom!

Mine used to do that, but if I ran the tank really low it would seize again and the light would stay on, but since I took mine apart and fettled it, its been OK, for 20k miles or so now.
2016 Tiger Sport

deepsouthtiger

Mine has been broken for about a year.  I just use the 'ol skool trip meter method of fuel guestimation.  THe majority of bikes I have owned over the years didn't even offer fuel gauges.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

cooljm

i also started having same problem....  it the guage would go to empty and then back up again on occassion... but ran it really low and now it doesnt seem to work much at all.  get the going to full back to empty then fuel light may or may not come on.  Any one check with a triumph dealer....or do they want to sell you a bunch of parts. :(

Sasquatch

An update.

Mine is heat related, but only at full or near full.  It works fine running down the road, even on a hot day.  Go through a town where the engine heat is allowed to soak up into the tank or wiring, and the gauge starts it's full/empty cycle again.  Get through the town and back to highway speeds, it settled down and works properly.  Does not seem to be a problem when the tank is at lower fuel levels.

When I get a moment I am going to pull the side cover off and run the bike on the center stand and hit parts of the wiring with a heat gun to see if I can localize where the failure is.