News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly starting question

Started by DaFool, May 27, 2011, 06:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFool

Bought a used 06 Girly with about 17k on the clock.  Last tune at around 15k.  Bike runs like a striped assed ape!  My question is it seems to crank a bit before starting.  Runs fine then spools up to about 2000 RPM after about 60 seconds then runs back down to idle after about 30 seconds.  Is this normal Tiger behavior?

DaFool

Wow.  Crickets. Will go try on the other site....

walker

check intake for leaks, make sure the air filter isn't plugged up.

How many tanks of fuel have you run through it? could be crap in the gasoline.

other than the odd high idle - does it run fine?

JTT

I was kind of waiting to see what the responses were too.  My '03 cranks a fair bit starting from cold too.  Once it starts it seems to idle way too low and usually stalls out.  Once I restart it goes right to fast idle, then settles into normal idle perfect.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

walker

JTT - mine will sometimes do as yours does. It's been a little harder to start recently - although it is right at time to replace the plugs anyway (which will most likely fix that issue).

JTT

I just changed mine...no change.  Also synced throttle bodies, new fuel filter, cleaned airfilter with no change.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

walker

it only does it if I haven't run the bike in a few weeks.

always starts on the second crank regardless.

Can't say that of the bonneville if it has been sitting for more than 4 weeks.

The 955 has not ever failed to start - so if it takes 2 cranks, whatever.

Bixxer Bob

Mine starts fourth beat, first crank, runs up to around 2k revs but after 5 secs or so drops to whatever the warmup map says for the ambient temp then slowly drops the revs as the temp rises until 1100 rpm when fully warm - as it's supposed to.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

walker

ok, I tried it this morning - it's been sitting for a few weeks (I'm waiting on an output shaft seal, and have been contemplating doing one of the 12k services this month).

It cranked on the first try, but the idle was low. I think it would wake up and idle high if I waited, but I just gave it a little throttle, and it idled around 1800rpm for a bit, till it was warm enough to idle low.

Give it a little throttle after starting? that should wake it up.

Still better than the bonneville if it's been sitting too long!

DaFool

So, no worries.

It sounds (more or less) like this is just normal behavior.  I did toss in a new battery yesterday....and it made no difference.  Bike runs great.  Just cranks a little more than I'm used to compared with my previous EFI bikes... Strom and a few beemers.  

8)

walker

not sure if anyone has done an upgrade to the starting circuit.... I know the wires are a bit small - a larger diameter wire to the relay and to the starter would probably make it crank better.

I think I saw some posts for this on a 1050 - maybe a sprint? I never had a problem with the 955 starting, and it's not as picky as the 1050s are when the battery gets a bit low.

doc

Quote from: "DaFool"Bought a used 06 Girly with about 17k on the clock.  Last tune at around 15k.  Bike runs like a striped assed ape!  My question is it seems to crank a bit before starting.  Runs fine then spools up to about 2000 RPM after about 60 seconds then runs back down to idle after about 30 seconds.  Is this normal Tiger behavior?
how old is your battery?

doc

Quote from: "doc"
Quote from: "DaFool"Bought a used 06 Girly with about 17k on the clock.  Last tune at around 15k.  Bike runs like a striped assed ape!  My question is it seems to crank a bit before starting.  Runs fine then spools up to about 2000 RPM after about 60 seconds then runs back down to idle after about 30 seconds.  Is this normal Tiger behavior?
how old is your battery?
missed the part apout the new battery, have a 06 with 45000 km, starts in 2-3 cranks. had the injectors sincrod at 35 and made a difference..

CoolHandLuke

I believe the cranking a few times is deliberate.  It is true of the early Steamers (and other Triples?).

A story I have related to this:

When the Steamers were released they came with a green CDI unit which would fire as soon the engine started cranking.  This could actually cause the engine to fire on the up stroke.  Some clever chap redesigned the CDI so that it would only start firing after a couple of revolutions and Triumph bought the unit or decided to take up the idea.

If anyone can confirm the story, I would appreciate it.

As for the difference between the green and black CDI units, it is true that my green CDI unit will fire on the button whereas the black CDI unit waits two cranks before firing.

DaFool

NO problems starting. Just cranks a bit more than I'm used to.  As noted, the bike runs just fine....more like GREAT!
  Not freaking out here.  Was just looking for confirmation that the symptoms are normal starting behavior.  Please read the original post.   8)

I think all is good and I will no longer worry about it.   :D