News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

front cam chain guide explody - help!

Started by mantramoto, May 27, 2011, 11:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantramoto

So here are some photos of the front cam chain guide that exploded in my '95 Steamer. I am by no means a mechanic but I have a copy of the sometimes difficult to understand Haynes manual and I am going to make an attempt at replacing this thing. A mechanic from the Triumph dealer has told me that he thinks that the case has been ground down and will require either a new case or some very technical engine welding to bring the ground portion back to specs and allow the new guide to be replaced. The mushroomed metal looks to me to be part of the old guide that was ground down by the loose chain and not part of the case. I guess I will find out once I take the cylinder head off to have a better look. Do any of you gurus have any major words of wisdom before I dive into this any further? Any advice would be great! :D

JetdocX

I don't understand the problem.  Is the mount for the slider fubared?

If so, then start looking for another engine, or part your bike out and buy mine so I can get my new XC. :D
From parts unknown.

mantramoto

Hey JetdocX, I'm not sure - I have not taken off the cylinder head yet and that mushroomed piece of metal is about as good of a view as I have at this point. I would buy your bike if I had the cash - looks like a beauty but I now have my mind set on resurrecting the black beast.

JetdocX

Well, got time for me to come over and have a look at it?  PM me.  I'm happy to do it.  At least I can try to help you decide what direction to go and what your options might be.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

a replacement upper case half is always a solution and one could be had easier than you might think .

here's a complete upper and lower case for 99 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94-95 ... 3a592d67bd

same guy also has a complete head assembly

If I was in your situation.......................it would be a no brainer for me and the 99 bucks would already be in his paypal acct .  :D

mantramoto

Thanks Mustang - just bought me an upper and lower case! Thank you. Now I just have to figure out how to do all this stuff... :shock:

mantramoto

Does anyone know if the case screws pictured are T50's - it seems a bit loose with a 50. Also - do these need to be heated before removal - they seem awfully stubborn? Also - here are a few photos of what I am dealing with.

JetdocX

I broke one of my drivers on one of those bolts.  They are way overtorqued from the gorillas in the factory.

Sorry, can't remember the size, just use the largest torx that will fit in the hole.
From parts unknown.

mantramoto

Thanks JetdocX, do you think they would benefit from a little torching? Any thread lock on those?

JetdocX

please be careful with the torching.  There's lots of combustibles around.  And that aluminum won't take much more than 800 degrees.
From parts unknown.

mantramoto

Finally! Little heat and a 2 foot breaker pipe and... shazaaam!

JetdocX

You're a rock star now! :D
From parts unknown.

Mustang

you need to get that lump out of the frame and on a bench , it will be easier to work on .

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Mustang"you need to get that lump out of the frame and on a bench , it will be easier to work on .

And you said that without mentioning re-sealing the cylinder liners once  :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Mustang"you need to get that lump out of the frame and on a bench , it will be easier to work on .

And you said that without mentioning re-sealing the cylinder liners once  :lol:
in due time........................... :ImaPoser