News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fan question

Started by jrockrat, May 31, 2011, 11:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrockrat

While looking at my oil light issue, on my 1999 Girly, (another thread) today when it was very hot and humid (over 90 degrees F) I noticed that when I turned the bike off the fan kicked on, but if I turned the key on or started the bike the fan quit running. I'm a bit concerned that the fan isn't running when the bike is running but I don't understand why it would be working when the bike is off. My temp gauge is wack, because it rarely moves at all. I've only had the bike for about 500-600 miles so far (total bike mileage approx. 15000). I've read about the bad sensors in relation to the gauge not working, but would that effect the fan itself? I figure the fan would be related to the thermostat and again I'm confused as to why when the key is on or the bike is running the fan will go off, but come on when the key is off. Would it have something to do with the circulation of coolant/water?

Thanks

Mustang

On a 93-98  the fan is controlled by a temp sensor in the radiator ,NOT the one in the head that is for the temp gauge .
the fan is coming on after you shut the bike down (it's supposed to) because of heat soak because of not  having the benefit of the water pump circulating the coolant .
The fans rarely if ever come on when riding as there is more than enough air flow thru the radiator when moving to keep things cool .
perfectly normal

girlies are the same , if not some one will correct me  :D

Patman1200

Correct as Mustang says  :D
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock
1998 Bandit 1200 - Holeshot Stage 1 kit
2000 TTR 250 - Mud machine
1996 Bandit 400 vv - Screamer