News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mixing tires

Started by Guest, June 02, 2011, 04:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tire question for you all. riding partner doesn't think twice about mixing tires, like a TKC in the front and something less aggressive in the rear, I am not convinced. do any of you mix tires, what do you think ?

Chris Canning

Can you do it??,of cause you can,in reality tyre companys spend a lot of money on R+D with tyre design and compounds so the front works with back and vice versa so in my book it ain''t the smartest thing you'll ever do,and we live in a world of insurance companys looking for any excuse not to to pay out,a bike with mix tyres is another along the way.

oxnsox

I've heard rumors here in NZ that insurance companies will only insure bikes with manufactures recommended rubber, or are considering such.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yankee Dog

how does your bike know what kind of tire it is wearing unless you tell it. If the tire sticks all is fine, if not then you have problems, but it seems to me that the front vs. rear are independent variable. That is one sticking has nothing to do with the other sticking or not.

However the OP, was taking off road tires. When I was a kid, we always went with the more agressive on the rear, but I have to admit, the bike never really went were we pointed it until the front got agressive as well.

Not sure why you would want to go less agressive in the back, but it seems to me it would be a matter of performance not safety.

Yankee Dog

daveb

I got tourance on the front and Anakee II on the rear, no issues, been like that for 6000 miles.

I put tourance on the front as it was cheaper than Anakee II, however when I went to replace the rear last week Anakee II are cheaper now, I plan to stick to anakee II in the future.

NKL

When I was racing I would mix tyres all the time
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100