News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head Bearings??

Started by Timbox2, July 20, 2011, 04:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Just started to notice a tendency for the bike to follow tramlines etc a lot more than it did, also there is a bit of a shimmy on the bars if I take my hands off, thing is with the front of the bike in the air I cant feel any play and it all feels smooth??

Whats the general concensus chaps, cheers
2016 Tiger Sport

Mustang

how's your front tire ? that's where I'd start

Chris Canning

Tim

Even got a laser cut spanner,If your passing

ChazzyB

What Mustang says, sounds like front tyre. Probably.

If your head bearings are loose, you will usually get juddering when braking hard. That will make nice dents in the races, over time. Notchy head races can be hard to feel, if you've not felt them before. Front wheel off the ground, then really, really lightly and very slowly, move the bars a little side-to-side around straight-ahead. If you find a point where the bars want to stay, or feel a little like the effort just changed a fraction, you've got a notch. It might not be at straight-ahead, if your wheels have been out of line at some time. It's common. A little out on one rear wheel adjuster makes a big difference at the front over the length of the bike.

Mine had a notch, and it wasn't at straight ahead, either. A notch will make the steering itself feel shit at the turn-in. It's OK once in a bend. The way the front end moves when turning in, takes you through the notch twice. My Tiger was transformed with new head bearings.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Timbox2

New pair of Conti Trail Attacks 1700 miles ago, it does sound a bit like ChazzyB explains though, at 7 years and 48k I wouldnt be that surprsed.
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Tim

Even got a laser cut spanner,If your passing

Thanks for the offer mate, not due up your way at the moment though, I have a lot of very thin Park Tool spanners from my MTB spannering days, looks as though one of them might fit.
2016 Tiger Sport

NKL

There has been a lot of chat about that sort of thing on the GS forum for those tyres, although thats what I've been running and not had any problems, I would check tyre pressures, and have a play up or down a few psi.
Have to say tho' I have been really impressed with the trail attacks, grip well wet or dry, much more stable in bends than the Anakees I ran before and seem to last for ever, for road use I can't see me using anything else
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Timbox2"I have a lot of very thin Park Tool spanners from my MTB spannering days, looks as though one of them might fit.

38mm, from memory. I took a hacksaw to an old cycle spanner and managed to make one. Triumph say you need two; one to hold the adjuster and the other to pinch (torque) up the locking nut. At £22 a pop each??? FFS!

When adjusting (bars are off) and tweaking the adjuster nut has just got rid of the play, lift the top yoke up and use a big adjustable on the lock nut.

Works for me. ;-)
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Mustang

Quote from: "Timbox2"New pair of Conti Trail Attacks 1700 miles ago, it does sound a bit like ChazzyB explains though, at 7 years and 48k I wouldnt be that surprsed.
one of my steamers needed headstock bearings at 48k , it's not uncommon . mine you could easily feel the notches .

as far as tires go some will shimmy as they wear , even with only 1700 on em

metalguru

All three tigers I have had have needed the headraces doing and all but one had under 20k on them.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

NKL

Replaced mine at the 24k service, but they were slightly notched at 11k when I bought it.
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Timbox2

oops, silly twat admission coming up. :oops:

forgot to mention that yesterday I had all three boxes on and fairly full of kit, forgot to put a bit of extra preload on the Wilbers,

I spend £800 on the f...ing thing and then forget to use it properly  :lol:

2 turns on the preload and its rock solid again
2016 Tiger Sport

metalguru

Quote from: "Timbox2"oops, silly twat admission coming up. :oops:

forgot to mention that yesterday I had all three boxes on and fairly full of kit, forgot to put a bit of extra preload on the Wilbers,

I spend £800 on the f...ing thing and then forget to use it properly  :lol:

2 turns on the preload and its rock solid again

:BangHead     :ImaPoser  DOH
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

NKL

Yep, that'll do it :roll:
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

KuzzinKenny

:lol:  :lol:

Thats a bit like yer bike won't start and you go through every bloody thing except the kill switch, Doh !!  :lol:

anyhoo !! MOT day today and i got them to check and a half the headstock and the swingarm !!  :thumbsup  everythin passed with flyin colours, its what i would expect as its only done 2K since the last one  :roll:  :oops:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly