News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replacing the rear Brake switch Rubber Boot

Started by Timbox2, February 18, 2010, 09:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

I ordered the boot for the rear brake switch, on the parts fiche it lists T2020074, when it arrived it was the R/H part you see below, looks like a solenoid boot. Luckily the parts guy at Performance Triumph was on the ball and looked up the same part for a Sprint ST, T2500254, the part you see on left, thats the one, all Ive got to figure out now is how to get the plug through the tiny opening on the top :?

****EDIT by Mustang*****

split this off and moved it to Girly section as its not really a cross reference to something else that works in place of the original

Also linked it to the Girly Wisdom Stickie
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Tim

I had to changed mine and it had dropped to pieces,but they ordered it as per the fische and it turned up OK as per the one on the left side of the photo.

Oddly he added,Triumph don't like selling them to the public,they prefer to only supply dealers for fitting :roll:

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Tim

I had to changed mine and it had dropped to pieces,but they ordered it as per the fische and it turned up OK as per the one on the left side of the photo.

Oddly he added,Triumph don't like selling them to the public,they prefer to only supply dealers for fitting :roll:

Ian, the parts guy at Performance Triumph said that certain parts seem to disappear from the fiche from time to time, an example was the rubber boots for the sliding caliper pins, no longer listed, but he phoned a guy at the factory for some and the guy said something similar to what you say, but sent him 2 as they still had them. :?
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

As i explained to Tim on the phone tonight,feeding both wires through the gromit is a bit of tinker,i turned it inside out sprayed in silicone and struggled. :D and rolled it onto the switch.

oradbaforpsoft

I ordered part T2500254 - used this link to show how the plastic housing for the switch separates from the 2 wires:

http://www.triumphrat.net/newreply.php? ... y&p=233236

I then used vaseline to lubricate and turn the rubber boot inside out, fed the wires with metal connectors in, turned right side out, reconnected the wires into the plastic housing and it's all good - only about an hour of my time (including reading the how-to threads on both forums). I now feel like a mixture of McGyver  and Houdini and the sheen on my 'wrenching noob' badge is slowly becoming dull and fading away! Woohoo! - Thanks for all the tech tips on these forums. :D
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange

Timbox2

My new ones lasted a year, its started to go again
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

I'm on my second switch and gaiter and they're both on their way out :evil:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

oradbaforpsoft

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I'm on my second switch and gaiter and they're both on their way out :evil:

My switch only activates the brake light when the pedal is all the way down - I was wondering if I left air in the system when I was changing out pads and perhaps bleeding will correct? - Not exactly sure what activates the switch. I was about to replace the fluid anyway, so will wait till after and re-check I guess.

jwray76

My boot is pretty much not existent. Looks like if I do anything it will be just to wrap it up in some electrical tape.

Timbox2

Quote from: "oradbaforpsoft"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I'm on my second switch and gaiter and they're both on their way out :evil:

My switch only activates the brake light when the pedal is all the way down - I was wondering if I left air in the system when I was changing out pads and perhaps bleeding will correct? - Not exactly sure what activates the switch. I was about to replace the fluid anyway, so will wait till after and re-check I guess.

Its a hydraulic pressure switch, they do need a bit more of a push then say a microswitch, I prefer them, less likely to have your brake light on if youve just got your foot resting on the lever, like so many riders I see.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Brake fluid seeping past the spade connectors is a bit of a clue though... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

oradbaforpsoft

Quote from: "oradbaforpsoft"

After new fluid and bleeding the light works 'ok'.
The light takes a second to activate with the pedal depressed - I am not about to mess with removing the switch, replacing master cylinder seals etc., and the front brake lights up quickly enough, so I am done with this.  Perhaps I will replace the switch next time when I replace the master cylinder seals and hoses etc.

tigergotcha

Quote from: "jwray76"My boot is pretty much not existent. Looks like if I do anything it will be just to wrap it up in some electrical tape.

...it is exactly what I did - not so beautiful on the aesthetic side, but efficient - and that is what it counts, at least for me
  :wink:

Cos

Could somebody in the UK help me get my hands on one of these?

World of Triumph doesn't seem to have any so if you know of a dealer that i could get in touch with i'd appreciate it.

If anyone can get one through their local dealer and send it to me, i have PayPal  and i'm not afraid to use it  :lol:

Chris Canning

Normally there are two sellers advertising on Ebay,I can't find the cheaper one!!! but at £2.85p hardly big bucks,tell them were you are I'd be amazed if they won't send,if they won't, contact me I recently bought another just as a spare.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Brake ... 45fd2d7cbf