News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advice needed on engine rattle

Started by Frosties, April 16, 2014, 10:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

you won't do any damage to motor running with DAR for thousands of miles ...............

you will find one of three things when you pull alternator to repair .

1. (best scenario) the bolt that holds the drive vanes to alt shaft has loosened causing the drive vanes to "rattle"

2. (most likely scenario) the head of the bolt snapped off and was bouncing around . this also lets the drive vanes "rattle"

3. ( worst case) the broken bolt head has rattled around so much that it destroyed the threads in the end of alt. shaft and will need some tlc to get back to operation , or a new alt .

been there on all three scenarios with my two 98's I have , mama's 95 has never had an issue at all ( I think that depends more on how the 3 bikes are ridden)

threepot

QuoteHad to go back to using the Tiger when I found out yesterday the Fazer's MOT expired in February - used it loads of times since then  :augie

Done that also. And just the other day,realised my tax was out..when I was out on the bike! "Don't the months fly-by officer" :bad
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Frosties

Mustang, that's a big relief knowing it won't get screwed totally until I can have a look at it. Hoping for option 1 or 2 to be honest but saying that, a 2nd hand one can be picked up fairly cheap. You've put my mind at rest fella, thanks  :thumbsup

Three pot, yup also done the tax by a few months. The only thing that don't slip is the insurance. I blame the wife for shite organisation of my transport fleet  :icon_mrgreen: