News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprocket Cover-ectomy

Started by nickjtc, July 13, 2014, 11:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Here's my version of the modification.

I had a friend with a very steady hand do the horizontal cut with a cut-off disc in his angle grinder, then remove the casting for the dip stick from the top portion. I tidied it up a bit and painted it to sort of match the existing colour.

The hole in the top of the lower portion was filled with a piece of aluminium sheet cut and filed to shape and JB welded in place. I added a second piece over top to give enough thickness so that I could drill and tap for a M10 bolt, which I modified with the cut-off end of the original dip stick. A rubber washer acts as a gasket under the bolt head. I'm thinking the Mark 2 version will be a shorter bolt (less to screw in) with a longer dip stick.

I have a 1 litre squeeze bottle with the correct size of spout to go into the bolt hole, so filling up with oil will not be too much of a chore.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

HeavyHustler

Nice work Nick!  Looks very clean and well designed.

Q's- Why didn't you have the metal tab welded?  Also is the added tab JB welded to the lower section of the cover?  I am assumming it is.

Good stuff!

nickjtc

Thank you.

Q's- Why didn't you have the metal tab welded?

I do not have the technology or skill!

Also is the added tab JB welded to the lower section of the cover?

Yes it is. That stuff seems to be very effective in all of the jobs I've used it for.

And I'm thinking I will drill a few 'sight holes' in the sprocket cover to enable visual checking of what's going on underneath.

HeavyHustler

Nice.  Thanks for the info.  Did you pic/document any of the steps by chance?

nickjtc

Quote from: HeavyHustler on July 15, 2014, 10:32:01 PM
Nice.  Thanks for the info.  Did you pic/document any of the steps by chance?

No, I didn't, sorry. Foolishly did not have a camera to hand as friend Eric expertly wielded the angle grinder with the cut-off disc in it.

If you would like specifics please pm me.

Nick

nickjtc

All done.