News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Talk some sense into me?!?!?!?!?!?

Started by adrian jones, February 20, 2009, 08:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrian jones

O.K. I have found a "deal" on a Sprint Executive 98 model.
SHOT sprag clutch. engine out all ready, bloke doesn't have time or $$$ to continue with rebuild.

Great (very low) price for the bike.  I have limited mechanical ability but can usually walk my through with a manual and am a "fast learner"

Any tips hints tricks or pitfalls to avoid some of you more experienced mechanics can offer???
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

DesertDog

Hey, I saw that on Craigslist.  Looks like a great bike and should not be too much work to get her running again.

Just bought a 97 Sprint myself, same thing, motor out of bike for a bum crank bearing.  

There is alot a brothers on the site that could help you work through getting her back up and running.  

good luck :D

Dr. Mordo

There are some tips in the thread below, but you really need the Haynes book or a Service Manual.  It's a big job.  But it isn't hard if you are patient and take your time.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,32944
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

adrian jones

Thanks I think I will take the plunge.

Manual included with the bike  :D

Say Dr.  would you (or someone you know) be interested in a 97 F650???

Wifes bike......gotta go to make room for the Sprint (and she would "rather have a boat"-----I know go figure, women----)  Just FYI.

Heres a couple links.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5674

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ost9123253

JetdocX

Quote from: "adrian jones"Thanks I think I will take the plunge.

Manual included with the bike  :D

Say Dr.  would you (or someone you know) be interested in a 97 F650???

Wifes bike......gotta go to make room for the Sprint (and she would "rather have a boat"-----I know go figure, women----)  Just FYI.

Heres a couple links.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5674

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ost9123253

List it here:  http://f650.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=c75c564377f4937e5bf125b279166d07
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

How much is the dude asking for the Sprint?  I promise I'm not interested in buying it, just curious.

I paid $800 for my Tiger with a bad sprag.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

adrian jones

UUUUHHHHMMMMM............don't go stealin' my thunder, but 900.00.

Lots of extras, and bike looks "clean".  Except the sprag of course.

Any regrets on the Tiger "sprag" deal you got????

Tom Herold

I grabbed a 96 T-Bird with a bad sprag off craigslist for $800. I decided to refresh the entire engine and make sure it was bullet proof and ready for the wife to enjoy.

Taking my time, working on it in my spare time and simply following the manual, it only took a couple of months and another $500 in parts, tires brakes, etc.

Today was the first road trip for the little beast, a 150 run out to the beach for lunch and back. A flawless run for the machine and a very happy wife.

I say go for it, $900 sounds like a steal!!!!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

Dr. Mordo

I don't have any regrets.  As I recall, I ended up spending almost $1500 to get it on the road, but my bike hadn't run in years so needed stuff like tires, chain, shock, carb rebuild, etc.  I was a mechanic years ago so most it wasn't too hard for me.  The carbs were really the only tricky part.

I don't think you should buy it unless you are ready for a challenge.  It will be a lot of work, and if you aren't accustomed to working on bikes or cars it may be more than you want to deal with.  Conversely, if it was your bike and the sprag failed, I say fix it - it's a big project and a ton of work, but not overly hard.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

adrian jones

Tom, Congrats!  Sounds like you got a great deal yourself.

Dr. I am in no hurry. Got my Tiger to keep the riding "jones" at bay.

Have been doing "minor" mechanical repairs, maint. for many years, nothing this detailed but am approaching this as a learning experience/challenge. And a low cost way to learn without the risk of damaging my main ride.

Will post my progress (and I am sure a few questions as well) as i go.
Thanks very much for all the info.

Dr. Mordo

Another point is that you could likely part out the bike if you totally give up, so now that I think about it, for that money it'd be hard to lose too much money, anyway.  And with your previous experience you shouldn't have too much trouble doing it if you are patient.

Well, good luck, and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.  I didn't mean to sound negative in my last post; it's just a talent I have.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

adrian jones

If I only wanted the PLUS side I never would have asked to have some "sense" talked into me :-)

Appreciate the honesty. I will post away as I get into the project.

Thanks Dr.   and yes good call on the parting out. Thats my back up plan.

Parting out was plan "b" in the event of complete failure.
Or if things aren't what  they are claimed when I actually open her up.
Worst case I figure to break even and learn a lesson.

adrian jones

O.K. well as you can see I am taking my "time" been almost a month.
But I have the cases split and the sprag out.

As I stated from the start not overly mechanically inclined but everything seems "fine" to me.

Haynes says sprag should "turn  free anti-clockwise and lock clockwise" which it does.
All the gears, teeth splines etc. look a little worn but nothing broken or worn to a nub.

Could there be "other issues"?????

Engine overall looks fairly clean from what I can tell,(again I'm no mechanic) but no metal shavings or broken bits that I can find.

THoughts?

Also anything else I should look for or check while in here to avoid issues down the road?

Appreciate all the help gang.

:D

adrian jones

Sprag came a few days ago.  Started the install, and realized even though the packaging SAID 51 tooth....the actual gear was 53 tooth.........back to the Dealer.

Gaskets and all came in today.....

So heres a tip (some may all ready know)  COUNT the teeth don't assume the package is right.

:roll:

Bixxer Bob

By a spooky coincidence I was talking to a friend yesterday who used to have one of these.  Soon after he bought it (used) the neutral light stopped working. The shop did it under warranty - lucky for him - as it was an engine out job.  Seems the neutral switch works off an indent on some gearbox internal (sorry to be vague, but so was my friend) soooo, if you can identify the neutral switch it might be worth checking all is well seening as you're in there anyway???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...