News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel leak with new fittings...

Started by EvilBetty, February 26, 2009, 06:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Man I am frustrated as can be right now...

I had the bike all put together.  I fueled it up with a gallon of gas, and it fired right up sounding great.  I moved it up to the garage so I could do the oil change the following day.

Next day I fire her up to drive around a bit to warm the oil for the change.  When I get back I smell fuel.  I shut her down for the night.

Today I have time to work on her, so I pop the seats and side panels to get a view of the lines.  I turn the key on to pressurize the lines, and this is what I see.

I popped off the fuel fittings and one of the o-rings was split.  I was elated, thinking this was going to be an easy fix...  WRONG.

After spending ten bucks on new Viton o-rings and hose clamps from AutoZone (only place that carried the Viton rings, and they were in a big variety pack.), I run home and put new rings on both fittings.  Still leaking.  I put new hose clamps on both hoses.  Still leaking.  I had another 3/8" barbed connection I ordered by mistake, so I used that.  STILL LEAKING!

When I took these pictures I noticed I had put the fuel lines on backwards after changing the o-rings, and the leaks is staying with the bottom fitting.

It's got to be coming from either the bottom threads, the mating surfaces, or the hose connection.  I don't see any evidence of fuel around the top fittings.

And looking at the way it's dripping / running, I think it's coming from the mating surfaces.  If it was the threads it would be running down the plate.  If it was leaking from the hose it would be dripping off the hose.  But I'm all but positive it's dripping from the connection point.  It does not well up around the hose until it's been dripping for a for a while.  But after changing the o-ring and then the entire fitting I don't see how it could be the barbed male fitting.  That only leaves the female threaded fitting.  And unless it's got some major flaw with it that I can't detect, I'm at a loss for what else to check.  

I don't want to pull and drain the tank, and replace the female fitting just to find there is nothing wrong with it, anyone have any ideas?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

jays58

I'm getting ready to install the Team Triumph metal fittings on my '02 this weekend, so I've been following your post.  I'm just going to take a stab here - I know you're not thinking it's the hose, but my only experience with this type of thing was my BMW R1150RS.  It would seep fuel around a hose connection, only when the outside temperature was below about 50 degrees.  When it leaked, it did so only briefly, then stop.  Upon removing and examining the hose very closely, I could see some very fine hair line cracks, on the inside surface of the hose - just enough to allow pressurized fuel to be pushed up the hose to seep out at the connection point.  Once the hose got wetted, it would seal itself.  I don't know if you replaced the fuel line or not, be even with new hose, is it possible it's gotten damaged, even slightly, in the process?  Just an idea.  ---Jay
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250

Mustang

get rid of the pinch type clamp and use old fashioned hose clamps , you know the kind you tighten with a screw driver .
replace the hoses and when you put the fittings together with new o-rings put a dab of grease on them , they will slide together easier without the possibility of twisting or kinking the o ring.

good luck

walker

the team triumph kit comes with a screw type clamp, for use on the pressurized inlet fuel line (not the return line though). That's the fitting that seems to be leaking as well - bottom one, right? higher pressure than the other one....

try what mustang said - bet that fixes it.

EvilBetty

Thanks guys.

I'm all but positive it's not coming from the hose or threaded end of the fitting.  And I did try using screw on clamps on both hoses and it made no difference.

I hooked the hoses up backwards and turned on the key to pressurize the lines and the leak still emanated from the bottom fitting.

Between trying 3 fittings and 2 new o-rings I'm sure I had good o-rings during at least some of the tests, but I'll inspect them again tonight and and try using some grease on the male fitting and see if that makes any difference.

walker

bad fitting? I read somewhere about tightening them down too far could damage them (force them out of round and let them leak) - but it looks like you left enough space there in the pics from that other thead... I bet if you had another female fitting it would be fine.

could have been bad from the start!

zombie

Man this is bizarre as I'm having the exact same problem
I swapped my gas tank for one that fits properly and buttoned it all up and lo and behold it's leaking from the bottom fuel fitting
I also have replaced the o-rings and still no joy.
I bought another female fitting to go into the fuel pump assembly but the thing is plastic  , so I'll see if it works.
I'm completely stumped and have had the tank on 4 different times with the same result  slight leakage from the bottom fuel fitting.
I've  left it sitting on my bench right now as I'm ready to take a hammer to it.
I have had the tank sitting on my bench with all lines hooked up to test and no leak , stick it back in the bike and the bastard started leaking again.
Completely stumped right now

EvilBetty

Weather still hasn't been warm enough to go play with fuel...

Does yours leek when it's just sitting or only when it's pressurized?  (key on, or engine running)

walker

how are the fuel lines routed? I would plug the output line in first - that's the bottom one, and then the top one in. Make sure the bottom line does not loop / cross over the top line - this could pull against the fitting on the bottom.

If routed correctly, the lines won't cross over each other...... if this makes any sense...

EvilBetty

I figured these things would seal air tight, does a little pressure pulling / pushing on the fitting cause it to leak?!

zombie

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I figured these things would seal air tight, does a little pressure pulling / pushing on the fitting cause it to leak?!

thats what I thought too but I think it's the bottom fitting just not sealing correctly so I'm going to change it and see what happens

walker

don't know if it would or not.... just a thought.

Hey - did either of you swap the female fittings? Top for bottom? Not replace, just swap to confirm a bad one or not?

EvilBetty

I'm planning on doing the same thing, once I receive the replacement in the mail.

I think before that though I'm also going to replace all the fuel lines including the tank section hoses.  I'm all but positive that the hoses connecting to the fittings are not to blame, but what is it going to hurt.

zombie

replaced the bottom female fitting and problem  solved so far
did replace all the hose clamps and lines while I was at it.
Tomorrow do the 02 sensor and balance throttle bodies and all set for the season , hopefully

EvilBetty

I got my new fitting in the mail yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to install it.  May not till Saturday judging by the weather.   :(