News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel leak with new fittings...

Started by EvilBetty, February 26, 2009, 06:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjvolt

Success!  :hello2  It seems both the male and female fittings were broken. I replaced both of them and no more leaks.
2004 SV650 (Yellow)
2004 Tiger (Orange)

EvilBetty

Yes it's a wonderful feeling to stop your bike from bleeding isn't it? :)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

rjvolt

Yes it is. My wife told me she's never seen me this happen before.
2004 SV650 (Yellow)
2004 Tiger (Orange)

eatalotapeaches

I just got done reading a few different threads on this and ordered the TeamTriumph kit for my bike.  I'm still unclear as to the process of reinstalling the new ends.  

How tight should the female end be?  I understand it's tapered and will stick out about 3-5 threads.  Should I use anything on the threads?
2003 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange 50k

EvilBetty

3-5 threads may be a little too much.  Mine were leaking because they were not in tight enough.  I think they are 2-3 threads out now.  When your tightening them just use some good judgment on how tight it feels.  Don't run them all the way in for sure.  How far they go in will depend on what kind of sealant you use as well.

Some use Teflon tape even though it's not recommended for use around fuel.  You can use a sealant, just make sure it's rated for use with fuel.  Some use Permatex, I used Three Bond.

eatalotapeaches

I thought you used tephlon, since you didn't want to wait for chemicals to dry...  I can't wait either...  I just paid $40 for overnight shipping on the new fittings, to get this beast rolling for my 10 day vacation starting tommorrow!  I haven't even figured out where I'm going yet.
2003 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange 50k

EvilBetty

Correct.  I used Teflon on the 3rd attempt.  I used the Three Bond the first two times but I wasn't tightening them enough.

walker

also, the team triumph fittings will come with the teflon tape already applied to the one type of fitting anyway.... so if you don't like it, you have to actually remove it.

I used what they sent, and have not had a problem at all. Good advice from evilbetty about making sure they are tight.

jwray76

Just bumping your old thread evilbetty since I am having the fuel leak problem. Looks like you chased this thing around a bit. At one point you mentioned that it was the new fittings that fixed it then it leaked because it wasn't tight enough. Were the actual fittings bad at first?

Also did you ever turn the key on to pressuize the fittings without them connected? I have done this on mine and no leak so I am thinking that the threads are not the culprit.

EvilBetty

I don't believe I ever had a bad connector.  I think I had a leak from the top fitting not being tight enough. The combination of using the Teflon tape and tightening the fitting a 1/4 turn more seemed to solve my leaking issues.

I never did it with the fittings not connected.  I don't that would be advisable.

I did however let it pressurize up with the everything connected and on the earlier leaks it would leak.  On the later leaks I only noticed it after I had had been riding and came to a stop, and would smell gas.