News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tune Up: Brakes and Sprocks... PCIII? or Tuneboy next?

Started by Danny955i, August 26, 2010, 11:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

I just took my Tiger on a trip last month and ever since, it's needed a little TLC.

Everything on the bike is stock from 01', and I just rolled over 14,000 miles. So, I figured why not just get some stuff out of the way now...

Chain had a few locked links in it, and the front sprocket was all but bent over, so I decided to do the whole rear drive and add in a new rear 44 tooth sprocket. I also threw on Sintered HH brakes in the front and organic brakes in the rear... the rear pads were down to the metal, and, again... they still said NISSIN on them stock from 01'... yikes.

I had added a Remus Revolution exhaust before my trip and took out the baffle before my trip... I noticed a  TON of popping on decel and a little bit of shuddering under 3k rpm... very poppy and hesitant.

Last year, I had the dealer install the TOR tune into the computer... so I thought this would be a straight bolt-on with no issues... however, it seems this pipe is way more free-flow than the TOR.

SO.. as of today I have new brakes, new gearing, I did the 12 min computer re-set, and then re-installed the baffle into the exhaust and let me tell you...

This is a WHOLE new bike!!! The exhaust sounds a little quieter, but more chrisp... almost dirt-bike ish... I also have brand-new Michellin Pilot Road 1's on it which are WAY WAY better than the Metzler Tourances that were on it.

The sputter is gone, and the popping on decel is all but eliminated.

Now, I'm still debating on a Power Commander III... or, calling Australia and getting the hook up to do a Tune-Boy sweep on the computer.

I don't really know which is better... I know the Tune Boy allows for more control... but the PCIII is easily modded...

Any suggestions?

Bixxer Bob

Try TuneECU - it's free and allows remaps, but isn't quite so easy to use if you are into doing your own maps.  There's a link to it here:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8389
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danny955i

Just downloaded TuneECU and it seems AMAZING!

Just ordered Triumph USB cable from e-bay for 25 bucks. Should be here in a week.

Now I'll be able to set everything to my liking at least... maybe get rid of some of that low end brumble...

Still thinking about just getting a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) but we'll wait and see if the tune can help it out.

Bixxer Bob

Just be a bit careful to start with, unless you already know what you are doing.  A couple of beginners rules:

a.     Don't touch the timing map unless you really are sure you're not guessing.

b.     Never let the air / fuel ratio get above 14.7 air to 1 fuel.  Ideally, you want 13 to 1 for max power.  Bear in mind you might have set the A/F to 14.7 to 1or whatever, but there are trims for temp and the trim table itself to include.

Good luck and have fun. :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danny955i

The TuneEcu is blank on all pages. Will everything light-up and map-out once I plug the bike into the PC? The TOR map should show up in the % table... I would expect.

The only thing I would really screw with would be idle rpm...

I downloaded a bunch of maps for the 2001 Triumph 955i Daytona from Power Commander.com, but they won't open... probably because I don't have a power-commander program to run them in.

Maybe I'll just search for a couple How-To Vids on Youtube or something.

For right now, I just want to make sure fuel/air is 100% 13/1 (if possible) and idle is 1200rpm... and maybe to ensure all cylinders are balanced.

I'll take it slow :).

Bixxer Bob

Go to the TuneECU website and download the Tiger tunes.  Start TuneECU and load your prefered tune.  You're now ready to blow it into your ECU.

Alternatively, connect to your ECU and read your map from your ECU (a good idea anyway - you can save it so as to put it back later if you need to).  Click Mapedit on the top right of the screen, click on ECu and select Connect from the drop down list, once connected click read map.

BTW, I just downloaded the latest version, ran it, and it has maps in already so I can't understand why yours hasn't.   Good luck.

Maps are here:  http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tune_List.html

Danny955i

Got the cord today, however the disc with the drivers is cracked so I can't run it...

Windows found a driver... but it won't connect to the vehicle...

TuneECU says "Wrong Key, cannot connect to vehicle"

Fun times.

Bixxer Bob

Go here:

http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/index.html

Some where on there it tells you not to use the cable driver anyway but to use the Tune ECU bespoke driver.

If you haven't found that out for yourself, it suggests you aren't reading the info thoroughly.  Please do, this is risky stuff and it can end in tears.  No-one is going to take responsibility for any damage you do, especially me!!!

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Go here:

http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/index.html

Some where on there it tells you not to use the cable driver anyway but to use the Tune ECU bespoke driver.

If you haven't found that out for yourself, it suggests you aren't reading the info thoroughly.  Please do, this is risky stuff and it can end in tears.  No-one is going to take responsibility for any damage you do, especially me!!!

I don't think i will be tryin this ' plug bike into puter ' stuff !! i'd probably end up with an expensive garage ornament, even more than it is now  :shock:  :lol:

KK

ps is this the cable thingy yer talkin about  :?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/006-TRIUMPH-BIKE- ... 4aa482febe
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Danny955i

The TuneECU website I originally downloaded from was confusing as all hell... everything was half english, half french.

tomhamburg.net has a TON of stuff that I read up on. Also, the TuneECU site you just sent me was sent to me by the guys who I bought the cable from... and that one was MUCH easier to follow as well!

The only thing I want to fiddle with is Idle, Fuel/Air, and that's it. Maybe customize a warm-up procedure so that the bike doesn't sputter and wail below 1000rpm for a few seconds before it heats up.

No worries... I always blame myself for messing things up :).

Danny955i

When reading the directions, it says "after you download the tune, reset TPS" and then gives directions to open the ECU tab and click "reset tps" then to start the bike until the TPS icon turns green...

Well mine doesn't do that...

Instead in the Test screen you can manually click on "Reset TPS" and it's done.

Is that the same thing?

iansoady

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Try TuneECU - it's free and allows remaps, but isn't quite so easy to use if you are into doing your own maps.  There's a link to it here:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8389

Hi Bob,

How does TuneECU compare with Tuneboy? I've been very happy with tuneboy which I bought some years ago but it seems you have perhaps moved over to the dark side?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

I've not used it much to be honest; it does seem to be more user-friendly but less capable.  But there again, I'm used to Tuneboy now.  It works with the Tuneboy cable though so no driver issues...  why not download and have a play?

Danny, sounds like you got the driver issue sorted... Well done!!

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Danny955i"When reading the directions, it says "after you download the tune, reset TPS" and then gives directions to open the ECU tab and click "reset tps" then to start the bike until the TPS icon turns green...

Well mine doesn't do that...

Instead in the Test screen you can manually click on "Reset TPS" and it's done.

Is that the same thing?

One thing you learn quite quickly - and Tuneboy is probably just as bad - is they don't always update the instructions when they update the software hence unexpected things happen.

Danny955i

Ok cool... I'll just have to be sure to be on-top of things.

I downloaded a really good tune, everything is set to 13.5, 13.00 or 12.5 on the map, warmup and idle are a little smoother...

I'll have to ride it around a bit to see if there are any flat spots... but so far, im impressed!