News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chains

Started by Spud, May 11, 2011, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

Just having a new chain fitted to the bike, it has done 17500 miles, what sort of mileage do you get out of yours.
The mechanic recons that I dont need new sprockets, would you fit news ones in any case.

Cheers Spud  :wink:

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Spud"Just having a new chain fitted to the bike, it has done 17500 miles, what sort of mileage do you get out of yours.
The mechanic recons that I dont need new sprockets, would you fit news ones in any case.

Yes, especially at the front.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Mustang

yep it's silly to put a 150-200 dollar chain on and not go with new sprockets , the old ones are worn whether they look it or not and will just cause premature wear to your new expensive chain . :shock:
and at 17500 on the chain you  can just about guarantee you that the front sprocket  is hooked

Chris Canning

Spud

If the Scott oiler mob turn up they'll be quoting 30/40,000 miles which is great so long as you don't mind your bike looking like a minger,I average about the same,e'r thats 17/18 with dry lube.

Like they said,new chain,new sprockets it's daft not too and front costs peanuts anyway.

Chris

Timbox2

Funnily enough mines just coming up to 18k and is ready for a swap, my back sprocket has started to shark fin, so the fronts sure to be gone aswell, Id never change 1 without the other 2.

The Tigers a torquey ol beast, so 17 to 20k sounds reasonable to me without a scott oiler, but I still prefer to use dry chain lube anyway, and £150 odd is cheap really for a complete new final drive evry 20k, well nearly complete, the cush drive on mine still seems fine at 44K.
2016 Tiger Sport

aesdj

Quote from: "Spud"Just having a new chain fitted to the bike, it has done 17500 miles, what sort of mileage do you get out of yours.

Don't know your mechanic but any one worth his salt wouldn't advise not replacing the sprockets. I hope he's not a close friend or a member of the family if so sorry. As someones said it would knacker your new chain.

Spud

always believed new chain new sprockets, but the guy is adament that I dont need them.  He said it would be a waste of money to fit them. I think I will insist on having them fitted. Was not sure about chain life, there is a scott oiler fitted perhaps I need to up the oilling rate,the back wheel is covered with splatter after a ride cheers Spud  :wink:

Tigertriple

Quote from: "Spud"always believed new chain new sprockets, but the guy is adament that I dont need them.  He said it would be a waste of money to fit them. I think I will insist on having them fitted. Was not sure about chain life, there is a scott oiler fitted perhaps I need to up the oilling rate,the back wheel is covered with splatter after a ride cheers Spud  :wink:

Hi spud, it sounds like the mechanic can't be bothered to change the sprockets. As a few people have already said, fit the new sprockets with the chain as it will cost more in the long term if you don't.

Why don't you do the job yourself. I recently did mine for the first time and it was a very easy job to do.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Spud

If the Scott oiler mob turn up they'll be quoting 30/40,000 miles which is great so long as you don't mind your bike looking like a minger,I average about the same,e'r thats 17/18 with dry lube.

Like they said,new chain,new sprockets it's daft not too and front costs peanuts anyway.

Chris

As one of the Scotoiler mob 32k for my last chain and sprokets and yes she looks like a minger apart from when just cleaned!  :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Danny955i

15-20k miles = new chain and sprockets if you're staying with stock equipment.

If you upgrade to a good front sprocket a DID x-ring chain and say a SuperSprox rear sprocket, you can probably get 2 chains and 2 front sprockets to the 1 rear.

Just keep inspecting things every oil change (3-5000 miles) if the front teeth start looking a little shark-finned or bent, time to get new ones. If you're adjusting your chain every couple of weeks rather than every couple of months... then it's also time to get a new one.

NKL

Scott oil mob here, 24000miles and still loads of life, and not a minger, scott oil is easily cleaned off the bike and I would rather clean my bike more regularly thant waste the money replacing my chain and sprockets on a more regular basis.
And as stated before replace as a set, the sprockets are a fraction of the chain cost so it makes no sense to ruin the new chain on old sprockets.
If your worried about cost, get an oiler and extend its life, but you pays your money and take your choice.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Spud

Spoken to a second "Triumph trained" mechanic and he has said that although he always recommends the sprockets are changed with the chain it is not always necessary as the quality of the sprockets now a days are so good they can last a long time. cheers Spud  :wink:

Chris Canning

I put all my stock sprockets to one side for a gent who was jumping up and down on here a few months ago and as is the way vanished!!!,but i've a new 18 engine sprocket if you want,the only down side even though we live fairly close it'll cost that much in fuel to collect their that cheap to buy.

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Spud"Spoken to a second "Triumph trained" mechanic and he has said that although he always recommends the sprockets are changed with the chain it is not always necessary as the quality of the sprockets now a days are so good they can last a long time. cheers Spud  :wink:

Strange innit. I have taken to replacing the gearbox sprocket *before* the chain wears out. I've got one waiting on the shelf to go on next week before a trip to the Alps. Makes the transmission feel so much better, and all for the price of a few pints. Mind you, the OEM gearbox sprocket is mega-bucks.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

KuzzinKenny

I've turned the front sprocket to make the set last a bit longer  :? as it wears the fastest !! ( cheapskate )  :lol: but when the new chain was ordered, both sprockets were ordered aswell  :D

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly