News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Pressure Light

Started by 97tiger885, July 31, 2011, 01:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I have the Tiger back together after trashing the sprocket cover.  Now I have a problem with the oil pressure light---the problem being it comes on and stays on.  Here is what I did.  I drained the old oil (leaving the oil filter), put the new cover on (with an old gasket), put in some Rotella T 5-40 and rode for about 25 miles.  Everything seemed fine.  I then drained the oil again, put in a new filter and filled the engine with Rotella 6T 5-40.  The old gasket started leaking; so, I pulled the cover off again (leaning the mc to limit oil loss) and put on a new gasket.  I put in more Rotella 6T 5-40.  I started the bike, the oil pressure light comes on and stays on.  I pulled the filter again and discovered I had left off one of the metal washers.  I had another filter.  I put the unused filter on (with the metal washer), topped off the oil and started the mc.  Same problem...oil light.   Now, I have an oil tight cover, but a lit oil pressure light.

The engine sounds ok when it is running.   I am not hearing lots of valve noise or getting any knocking.   Any ideas as to the problem?  Is there an easy way to test oil pressure to rule out the oil pressure sensor being defective?

The only idea I have is that the Rotella 6T isn't getting along with the filter.   I can  test this by  replacing the oil with Mobil 1 and sticking in a new filter.  But I dont' want to do this until I rule out any other possibilities.  (Plus I don't have any more unused filters.)  Help.

Mustang

could be coincidence that the sender has gone tits up , it;s common failure
the sender should be right near the oil filter cover pointing toward the rear of the bike on 97's and older .
The factory manual does say that the light can come on and stay on with the wrong viscosity oil . 5w40 is pretty thin
you should be using 15w 40
the Mobil 1 for v twins is 20w50 and works awesome in the tigger in the summertime

two of my tiggers right now have rotella T6 IN the blue jug from walmart and my lights stay off

tigger 2 has an oil pressure gauge and in the heat of the summer it will show almost zero pressure at idle with rotella but my light stays off

what happens if you get it up to 3 k rpm ......does the light go out or stay on .

and the oil filter should be ............cover ,spring , washer , filter , washer in that order

The stickers are awesome BTW............

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"could be coincidence that the sender has gone tits up , it;s common failure the sender should be right near the oil filter cover pointing toward the rear of the bike on 97's and older ..

I will take a look at that.

Quote from: "Mustang"The factory manual does say that the light can come on and stay on with the wrong viscosity oil . 5w40 is pretty thin
you should be using 15w 40

That's what Advance Auto had.  The former version-Rotella T 5W40--was fine.  No oil pressure light.  Maybe I will go to Wmart and get some heavier Rotella.  Will using 5W40 hurt the engine?

Quotethe Mobil 1 for v twins is 20w50 and works awesome in the tigger in the summertime

I had been using Mobil 1 and Castrol but one is $10 a quart and the other is about $8 a quart.  I had no problem with them...15-40 I think.

Quotetwo of my tiggers right now have rotella T6 IN the blue jug from walmart and my lights stay off

tigger 2 has an oil pressure gauge and in the heat of the summer it will show almost zero pressure at idle with rotella but my light stays off

Good to know.  Rotella 6T is about half the price.

Quotewhat happens if you get it up to 3 k rpm ......does the light go out or stay on .

The light is on.

Quoteand the oil filter should be ............cover ,spring , washer , filter , washer in that order

That's what I have now.

QuoteThe stickers are awesome BTW............

They are nifty.  That is a nice design.

Thanks for the info.

BruKen

My oil light comes on and stays on until 3k Rens unless the oil comes up to full on the dipstick. Can't say if this is unique behavior or one off.

Mustang

the oil pressure switches are really pcs. of shit  :shock:

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"the oil pressure switches are really pcs. of shit  :shock:

The light is now off...all the time.  It does not come on when I turn on the key.  I am confident it is the pressure switch.  I found two problems.  First, the harness has a nice gash in it exposing a stretch of wire.  I have temporarily covered that with tape.  I will get some shrink wrap for it later.  Second, the switch no longer has a male connector to attach it to the harness...poof...gone.  There is just a small nub on the end.  I will replace the switch and if I get no light I will check the bulb.  If I still get no light I will look for a fuse.  All the other instrument lights are working.

Now, I have some questions about removing the switch.  Do I need to remove the oil filter to drain the sump first?   What do I use to remove the switch?...a socket?...an open end wrench?   That is tight space...in two ways.  There is not much room between the switch and the bottom of the rear shock in pulling the switch out.  And there is not much room between the switch and the sides of the sump to get a wrench in there.  

Also, the manual recommends locktite on the threads of the switch.  Any advice there?

On BikeBandit.com I see there are three swtiches available by engine number.  Where do I find my engine number?

Mustang

engine # is in a rectangle box cast in the block right above the clutch cover
it is dot peen marked into the aluminum

I just use a couple wraps of Teflon tape ..works fine

deep well socket is whats going to work

your going to lose some oil when you pull the filter cover .........see if you can get the switch changed without pulling the cover

me , I would save it for a winter project .it's just a red light , if you check your oil level now and then it's kind of redundant anyway.

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"I would save it for a winter project .it's just a red light , if you check your oil level now and then it's kind of redundant anyway.

Aye, there's the rub...now I have to check the oil level occasionally.   :evil:
 At least I am back on the road.  I am going to keep the 5W40 and see what happens.