News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Helicoils?

Started by rf9rider, August 07, 2011, 10:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Anyone had any joy using helicoils?
If anyones got a kit and could give me some info on what size hole to drill, what size tap to use, what size insert i need as i can buy a single insert rather than a whole kit.

Timbox2

Ive got an 8mm kit I used on exhaust studs once. What size do you need?
2016 Tiger Sport

rf9rider

The threaded hole takes an M10 bolt, so need to know what size to drill out and what size thread to tap to take the insert?

rybes

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Cheers Rybes.
Just ordered some inserts now i know the size.

rybes

i think youll find they got there own tap size. cant be sure tho cos my kits are in england
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

heli-coil doesn't want you to know the tap sizes so you will buy their kit , but .....................

if you are putting in an M10x1.25 heli coil you will need an M12x1.25 tap  :wink:

rf9rider

Cheers all, thats what i wanted, 10mm drill bit, 12mm tap.

cosmo

Use Heli-Coil's tap!!!  They ARE special, because you are putting in a spring-like insert which requires that the hole's threads match that of the original fastener (obviously). They are NOT just the next size up, and using same will cause you to NOT have any joy.

Also, all instructions are in most Heli-Coil kits, as is the tap, and occasionally the drill bit.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Spud

Striped a sump/plug once on a GSXR, new oil yeah just make sure you nip that up, oh shit why has it gone loose ?  :oops:    managed to get sump out legged it to a bike shop at 5.20 on a saturday night and the mechanic sorted it in about 10 minutes and did'nt even charge  :shock: , he was leaving that night and hated the gaffer  :D  never had another problem with that plug. Good kit cheers Spud  :wink:

NeilD

just looked at the 'Recoil' kits I have, and they recommend a slightly larger drill ie.. 8mm one says 8.2 mm drill bit... although the tap is 'just' an 8x1.25

Timbox2

Quote from: "NeilD"just looked at the 'Recoil' kits I have, and they recommend a slightly larger drill ie.. 8mm one says 8.2 mm drill bit... although the tap is 'just' an 8x1.25

Thats the kit ive got as you say same size Tap
2016 Tiger Sport

rf9rider

Still unsure as to whether i need the "special" helicoil tap?
To be honest, i can`t see what could be special about their own tap, a threads a thread?
The kit i could buy at around £30, although i`ve bought a few inserts for £2.95 and going to try an "ordinary" 12mm tap and see what happens.
The part i`m trying to repair isn`t that important, so no worries if it doesn`t work.

cosmo

It won't, so you're good to go.

Think about it: The Heli coil is a diamond-shaped spring, the inner which is the thread size you need to repair. The outer, by default, is the same TPI, but a larger diameter. So, a 6mm x 1 repair will require a larger tap, but with a 1 thread per mm spacing. So a 7mm x 1.25 is not going to work.

Ah, hell with the explanations, do what you wish, and let us know...it's really all a Communist plot to get us to buy more tools.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Mustang

heli-coils suck anyway ..........
these are way more bettah

you can actually torque something down to spec and still remove the bolt later without the silly spring unwinding