News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Needing a new windscreen, opinion needed

Started by Kraftsman 73, August 11, 2011, 04:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kraftsman 73

Greetings,
Starting to get my new to me '05 955i in good shape for the remainder of this riding season.
Simple question.
Madstad brackets and windscreen or the Palmer Products brackets and windscreen?
I stand 6'1".  
Looking to knock down the wind around my helmet so I can ride with the face shield open.
I do anticipate getting a better saddle.  The stock one is marginal at best.  Shape is very wrong for comfort.  I need a saddle that is flatter so I will sit higher from the pegs and not constantly be sliding forward.
Any comment will be most welcome.
Thanks in Advance,
Kraftsman 73

KuzzinKenny

Hey Kraftsman 73 !! screens are a very personal farkle, some work with one rider but not another !! best find someone near ya and try there screen  :wink:

is yer seat at its top hight ?? its has 3 positions and if ya fit a sheepskin pad, that adds an inch and is VERY comfortable  :wink:

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Holmann

Love to hear some opinions as well- My '06 came with the Cee Bailey- at 6'3" it's not much of an improvement over stock- it directs the wind right into my helmet from underneath- loud in there.

Again with the sheep, Kenny?

Kraftsman- get some of Mustang's pegs- installed mine yesterday, made a huge difference in comfort.

oxnsox

As Kenny says it's all very individual...
Depends how you ride as well. I find the noise from my 'Tall' Givi screen is due to buffeting which (I believe) is coming back at me from behind, but it keeps the cooler weather off in Winter.

I've also got a cut down screen (came on the girl), not as noisy but I 'feel' the wind more. Great in summer.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

smoketriples

I just put a ceebailey #2 (wide) extra tall on mine.  I'm 5'10, no wind in the face at all, no buffeting.  

Took it off after testing as it's to be my winter shield, the little triumph one is great for summer, lots of breeze :).

As for a seat, I'll make ya a great deal on a Mayer that previous owner put on.  Way too tall for me and pushes me back to far, I like to have my nuts right up against the tank.  (no comments kenny, mine doesn't have sheepskin).

-e
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

Kraftsman 73

Thanks for all the replies.
I made an executive decision and ordered a Palmer unit.  Ordered the large screen in clear.  
Again, thanks.
Kraftsman 73

Dred

You won't be dissapointed.

smoketriples

Has anyone used the Palmer brackets with a CB #2 screen?  I liked how the CB worked but thinkin the forward set of the palmer brackets with it would be even nicer....
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

lucifer

just use the latter triumph touring screen, works fine. don't buy the early narrow one, it bangs your helmet around like you in a boxing ring.

CP.

Kraftsman 73

Installed the Palmer Products brackets and windscreen earlier this week.  Improvement was noticeable on the first ride.  But I will need to brace up the brackets to keep flex to a minimum.  Fairing just wasn't designed for a big shield.  I wish I could meet the designers and find out why they work for a motorcycle company and not be motorcyclist.  
That aside, I do wish the shield was about 4 inches wider.  
Will post pictures of my braces.

Tigertriple

Quote from: "Kraftsman 73"Thanks for all the replies.
I made an executive decision and ordered a Palmer unit.  Ordered the large screen in clear.  
Again, thanks.
Kraftsman 73

Good choice. I have a Palmer large tinted screen and in my opinion these are the best screens available. You will need to try the screen out in several settings to find the best one for you.

I am 6' 1" tall and find the middle setting on the brackets to be the best for me.  :D
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Advwannabe

My brace an baffle set up:

I used copper tubing for the bracing struts believing that they would tend to damp out any vibrations better than steel. I'm ware of the potential issues with work hardening but so far so good. I also hope that if I ever go flying through the windscreen in an accident the anealed copper will tear and release, reducing my injuries. However there's no way to prove this short of crash testing.

I was worried that the struts would impede my vision and might require making some curved struts up as per another member of the forum, but found attaching the strut to the top of the bracket gave excellent results wrt flex and give me pretty good visibility. It is harder to mess with the trip meter on the move now but that is a small price to pay.

Palmer advises that in cooler months you can fit a baffle inbetween the fairing and the screen to reduce the ammount of air coming through but warn that it will increase buffeting. I decided to jury rig my own baffle using the rubber sheeting and a hole punch to adjust the air flow.

I'm very happy with the results and now will make up a more permanent mount for the baffle.  

I'm running the whole set up with a Corbin seat which has me ( 6'2") sitting an inch or so higher than the tallest position with the stock seat. The Palmer set up is far and away the best I've tried out of Stock/Triump touring/ Eagle +200 and MRA Vario. 'Tuning' the gap between fairing and Screen once I found the position I was happiest with and bracing the bracket has made a good set up even better.

I tested the whole set up at this year's Border Run, covering over 5000k in five days including 2000k on the first day. After 5 years I've finally finished tinkering with the screen.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

sgt-pluck

I'm not using the Palmer product, but instead I have a Skidmarx tall screen with a Touratech extender on top - combining to make a very tall screen!  I was noticing a lot of flex and screen/cockpit 'waggling' at speed, so my solution was:

Not a 'belt 'n braces' solution, but it does firm things noticeably, and will still allow the screen to ping off in a crash.

N