News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How To Fix Rear Lamp Mountings.

Started by metalguru, September 06, 2011, 01:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Every Tiger I have had and even my Adventurer has suffered failure of these mountings. As usual the dealers charge for these so I found a cure from old parts I had in my garage, but can be easily obtained from breakers and are guaranteed not to break again.

This is what you will find when your rear lamp gets wobbly.
[/img]

These are the parts you will need to fix it. The grommets are from any Jap bike/car mountings. The mountings sometimes come with the tube inserts which should be 6mm diameter, I made my own from some 6mm ID stainless tube. The length of the tube should be slightly less than the depth of the grommet. The fixings are 6mm stainless.

Assemble like this.

Next the mounting holes in the lamp backplate need to be opened up to the outer core size of the grommets, this needs to be a snug fit or the grmmets will just pull through, I used a step drill as it is easier with some tape attached to act as a depth guage.
Open up the mounting holes to 6mm on the undertray.
DON'T FORGET to put the alarm if fitted to service mode as the rear cover needs to be removed for this job!

Drilled and mountings fitted.
I did have to make up some spacers between the lamp and undertray as the tray gusset fouled the lamp.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

PeteH

Nice fix :) though not all mounting fixtures are the same. Mine has the stud plates attached to the rubber with glue :shock:  after the first new one I bought failed I decided to put a self tapper with washer in from the lens side, still going strong after a couple of years :D
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour