News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Consumption

Started by Mr Mistoffelees, December 10, 2004, 12:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankmrobinson

Quote from: "tigerjohn". They immediately suspected a poor fit in the crankcase 'centrifugal breather seal' - apparantly they're not always fitted correctly at Hinckley and usually explain excessive oil consumption in low milage 955s. A quick inspection suggested this was the problem and the seal was replaced under warranty - it's located inside the LH side engine cover and breathes up into the airbox. Too early to tell whether it has made any difference, but the dealer seemed pretty confident this would cure the problem....have yours checked Mr M.

Did this cure the problem?

Anyone else had oil troubles?

Mine seems to be using some, at 3000 miles, the dealer says he's never had oil problems with a 955i
Frank

NortonCharlie

Mine was having problems starting at about 30,000 miles.  Now at 53,000 I finally changed the seal and it looks like the problem may be gone.  No usage in 500 miles.  The seal was installed upside down in my 01 955 Tiger.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Foxy

My injected Tiger 900 was using a little oil at around the 26,000 mile mark, about 200ml per thousand miles. Since then it's just stopped using any oil, as far as I can tell, and it just about to hit 35,000 miles.

EvilBetty

I have a 2005 955i Tiger.  The previous owner was open about the fact that it was using a little oil and was suspecting that the crankcase breather seal was backwards / leaking.  He bought the new seal and gasket but he never installed it.

I'm looking at the parts, the BikeBandit diagram, and my shop manual diagram and I'm still having a very hard time visualizing this seals home and how it could be backwards.  The breather plate and gasket are shown off to the side of the diagram (#20).  I don't see the plate and gasket mounting point, or any mention of the seal.

http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m17645sch568703

Anyone have a picture, or maybe able to describe it a bit more?

I followed the air box breather hose back down to a cover (alternator cover?) on the left hand side of the bike.  I also see the wires coming out of it.  I have to pull my crash bars to get to it so before I go through this I just want to understand a bit more what I'm getting into, and if it's even necessary.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

EvilBetty

After looking at this diagram, I'm wondering if the seal is not actually in the alternator cover?  (#19)
http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m17645sch568700

I'm wondering if I don't need the breather gasket, but a new alternator gasket along with the breather seal?

swamper650

I have 33K on my 02 Tiger. Normal riding around town the oil level remains within limits oil change to oil change. However during my annual romp in the Georgia, Tenn. mountains I do have to top it off. This may be because of the hi rpms used in second and third gears as we enjoy all the mountain roads offer.
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

EvilBetty

Ok the dealer sorta confirmed the breather seal is behind the alternator cover.  Sucks because that's another $12 gasket and I have to pull the crash bars (Happy Trail) to get to it.

But I can't get an answer out of anyone how to tell of the current seal is in upside down or not, or how the new one should go in right side up.

The dealer says I'd have to bring it in... :(

darmah

the seal will usually be open to the side that is wet. Look at Bike bandit for a parts schematic, you might be able to tell from that.
dress for the +#@!! fall, not the ride!

darmah

OK, I see you have already done the Bk Bndt thing, nothing definable anyhoo. Just observe how you disassemble and reverse as the manual says (yeah, right). This is the subject covered well on RAT forum for Tigers. I replaced mine (2000' 885 model)at 85k and it stopped the consumption problem, as well as running towards the lower fill line of the oil sight glass.

22: SEAL, OIL, ROTARY
ENG NO 232538 AND BELOW 5576865-001  (on the engine cover schematic)

EvilBetty

Right, that is the exact part I have, Triumph # TMT3600089

The BikeBandit diagram shows it as a ring, but this is what it looks like...

I'm not sure how this gets installed backwards, and since I don't know for SURE mine is backwards I was looking for some reference for it's proper orientation.

The guy I bought the bike from gave me the seal and the breather gasket, wonder if I can trade it for the alternator gasket at the dealer.

EvilBetty

Actually I don't know what gasket this is...

matttys

Try calling the folks at Team Triumph in Wisconsin.  They helped talk me through a few things in the past.  Very helpful!
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

darmah

Evil Betty, you must have a 2000 model Tigger or earlier.
  The gasket you purchased is for the 955 motor. 885,855 motors have a round alternator cover with seven 6mm around the radius. If you ordered the "kit" it probably comes for the 955s. I see a kit for those but not for the 885 and previous. Funny how anal my parts man is about having the correct vin # so as not to make this type of mistake.
  The seal you have has a pilot inserted to keep the seal from deforming until it is set in the case cover. That is how mine came as well. After removing the case fasteners tap the edge with a plastic or hard rubber hammer to break the gasket seal loose if necessary (an unopened beer can works as well). Pull the case straight out, you may have some small amount of oil drible out but it shouldn't be much. There will be the seal in the case cover and a rotary filter on the end of the crankshaft. A seal remover tool is best here, but a # 3 flat blade screw driver can be used with slow pressure application. Note the direction the flat side of the seal is facing and place the new seal likewise. I tap mine in with a just undersize shallow socket. You will remove the pilot before inserting the seal, like I mentioned it is just to maintain the seal during shipment till ready to install.

You will probably need the  correct gasket but could get lucky and not tear the original. Even with a new gasket my cover mists a slight amount of oil over time and I have retorqued the fasteners as well.
 I have used RTV silicone seal or Yamabond 4 to repair torn gaskets to good end if you decide not to wait for the right part.
 Happy wrenching!

darmah

well once again I review your posts and find you do have an '05.  I see a different # of mounting holes on the Bk Bndt fiche fro your picture, and it shows the same part for all years '01 to '08 so the gasket is certainly not off a Tiger. I looked at the opposite side gaskets as well, not close.

EvilBetty

I went into the dealership today.  They claim the gasket was maybe to an 885, then they sold me the correct alternator gasket.

BUT they didn't say a word about that green piece being a pilot!  That makes SO much sense!

I took it down to the service shop and asked for some help on what direction is should be installed.  He grabbed it by the tube end and said it went into the case cover from the opposite end.  I'm not an idiot but after I opened up the case I might have thought something wasn't right when the old one didn't have the green part on it! LOL.

Thanks!  This helps a lot!