News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Consumption

Started by Mr Mistoffelees, December 10, 2004, 12:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

I had some evidence of oil in my air box for sure.  I just got done torquing everything up but I won't be able to start riding it for a few more weeks yet.  Should have the new fuel fitting this week, and hopefully the fairing back from paint soon after that!

When I was putting the alternator cover back on I forgot how much magnetism was involved when the stator came near the rotor.  It sucked it right out of my hand.  It dawned on me after I was done putting it back that I could have potentially damaged the seal all over again with that, but I guess I'll find out :)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

EvilBetty

Update:  I'm still "loosing" oil.  About 3 qts in 2000 miles.

Did the TB balance last week.  Didn't notice any oil in the air box this time.

(sigh)

darmah

Evlbty, I've had a real drawn out experience on the oil consumption thing i will expand on later, gotta run now but it is probably not what you want to hear! BTW how many miles and ridng style (effort) do you have?
dress for the +#@!! fall, not the ride!

darmah

Okay,
  so I continued to experience oil consumption after my replacement of the left hand crank oil breather seal. Thinking I had damaged it on installation I discovered from a longtime tech that the breather disc itself can have worn ends due to my high mileage (100k+ of flogging molly) I then replaced both (80$ or so).
  Oil use continued, my machinist friend then said "you have a broken piston land below the compression ring creating case pressure forcing oil out the seal".
  Tore the motor down, checked compression  @ #1 cyl. 180psi, #2 170psi and #3 45psi. Saw excessive black carbon on head and piston crowns and sure enough #3 had no land on the intake side of piston with mild scarring on the cylinder wall where the missing piece had been. OK, ordered new piston kit and cylinder for 275$ and as I removed to clean the other pistons the rear piece of their lands FELL out! Although no discernible cylinder wall damage.

This bike had been ridden home!

R&R all cylinders, pistons now at 900$ parts cost ( I perform all my maint...Cheap sob).

EvilBetty

Yikes... how far do you have to tear down to do the compression test?  I thought it was done from the plugs.

My bike has 25400 on it.  I have no idea how to classify how I ride.  I don't race it but I like to get on the throttle now and then.  But that's only been for the last 300 miles since I installed the new exhaust :)

darmah

You are right, only batty box, front flasher mounts, gas tank , and airbox need be removed to check compression. I was going in to fully inspect the top end in any case as the previous valve reseat had not fixed the consumption problem. Triumph make this a comparably easy motor to work on what with the wet liners. They pull directly out of the cases so no reason to remove the motor from frame.

Stretch

A motorboat mechanic (yeah, I know) once told me that one of the main reasons for ring land failure is a buildup of carbon between the rings and the lands.  The carbon gets in there and prevents the ring from moving up and down evenly in the groove.  In a spot where excess carbon builds up under a ring, the land in that spot has more pressure exerted on it than the rest of the land.  Over time, the cyclic motion of the ring minutely moving up and down in the groove, and the pressure of the combustion stroke, can weaken and crack the land where the carbon has become too thick.

Perhaps a few tankfuls of Seafoam once a year would help prevent excess carbon buildup under the rings.

Just a thought.

EvilBetty

I use it in the fuel now and then.  But I've heard of people putting it in the oil... that always kind of makes me nervous.  I've used flush agents in the past but you're talking 20 minutes of idle, not running miles on it.

Has anyone done that?

Stretch

I don't think Seafoam in the engine oil would be required unless you had a sticking hydraulic valve lifter (not a worry on a Tiger) or if you had a lot of sludge built up under the valve cover.  With modern high-detergent and/or synthetic oils, additives usually aren't needed.  And in many cases, they are strictly proscribed by both engine and oil manufacturers.

darmah

continuing;
 The bike is oil tight, great performance and fit to trek again, But on offer of $$ I have whored out and sold moto tigre (long sigh..) to a great home and as I was unable to find another Tiger 04 or later for a price palatable.
  I found a test mule 05 GS from a firm building lower ratio final drive units, fuel and ignition mapping chips and purchased same for 9 beans. With only 885 miles on the clock. How could I pass it up?
  So as I pass through the chunnel and continue my way to southern lattitiudes I bid a cheerio for now to Hinckley production for the next 100k +.

EvilBetty

Hey thanks Darmah, and good luck with the new bike!