News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Seat solution for 2000 885i

Started by haroldo_psf, August 23, 2011, 10:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

Is there any seat modification or custom thing that is well known amongst Girly riders?

I need to address the butt pain I get after long days... About to go to loooong ride next summer (arctic circle), and need to fix seat.

I am already looking into the Air Hawk, but would like to know if there are any seat modifications or any custom seat option out there
2000 Tiger 885i

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Mustang"http://www.sargentcycle.com/

http://rickmayercycle.com/

http://www.corbin.com/triumph/tiger2k.shtml

thanks!

That corbin looks great for $369! I can't believe it's a whole new seat assembly for that much.

One thing I don't understand, is that it states in the Corbin website "This seat assebles like the stock seat..." How is that possible?!

EDIT: nevermind! found in there that we have to remove that front seat section latching pin. Sounds pretty good to me. I may just get that seat.
the stock seat is a two piece, and you need to hook the front first, engage the little lock in the back of the front piece by pulling on the little metal loop, push it down, then put the rear seat on.

Does anyone have any experience with this seat?
2000 Tiger 885i

Danny955i

25 bucks will get you a sheepskin you can custom fit! Works well on 100 mile-plus trips!

matts23

You don't have to remove the front pin to put on the corbin.  It clears and just latches on the back pin.  I have a corbin and it is very comfy, but I am 6' tall and can barely tiptoe with it on.  Make sure you can get a foot down before a real adv ride with a corbin.  I also second the sheepskin.  I got one from alaska leather and it makes a big difference.  I swap it between my corbin and my stock seat and it helps on both.
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

topher0268

How tall are you?

I had a used Corbin briefly but the seat was very wide. When I added it I was concerned about height so I  did the rear wheel eccentrics rotation and moved fork tubes up in the triple trees to lower the bike about an inch.

Even with doing that the bike was almost un-rideable for me. The width of the seat made the position of the pegs uncomfortable and the shifter at an awkward angle. I immediately went back to the stock seat and raised the bike back up to the normal height having no issue with the stock setup .... I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam (yeah .. try finding jeans when you're smack in the middle of 30s and 32s)

Anyway it's something to keep in mind as your seat shopping. I'm going to give this guy a try. For the price I think it'll be worth the gamble:

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Yankee Dog

Quote from: "matts23"You don't have to remove the front pin to put on the corbin.  It clears and just latches on the back pin.  I have a corbin and it is very comfy, but I am 6' tall and can barely tiptoe with it on.  Make sure you can get a foot down before a real adv ride with a corbin.  I also second the sheepskin.  I got one from alaska leather and it makes a big difference.  I swap it between my corbin and my stock seat and it helps on both.

+1

Picked up a used Corbin a while back. It certainly is more comfortable than stock, but it is also taller. I am 5'11". I can barely tiptoe the bike now.

haroldo_psf

thanks everyone, great info!

I am 5'11", 30" inseam. Since I've put a Penske Racing on the rear, and had custom RaceTech spring made for the front, I am barely tiptoeing on the bike now, when the bike is unloaded.

I can flat foot on one side or another separately, but both feet can only tip toe at the same time.

I have preload dialed up on the Penske shock set up for street bike normal sag (25mm or 30mm, can't remember), so it is holding the bike up quite a lot. In worst case scenario, I can dial that back.

Of course, once I load the bike with luggage, tent, and all the shabang I will be taking to this arctic circle trip, I may have no issue at all.

All I know is that the stock seat is a literal pain in my butt after 8 hours or so. On the way back from Alaska, we are planning on doing the Saddle Sore Iron butt certification (800 something miles in 24hr), so I will gladly risk tiping the bike over due to tip toeing over the stock seat.

Plus, this bike has been down SO many times in the dirt, a few more won't hurt, It has also been completely under water, but that's a whole 'nother story :)

Still running great at almost 60K. I love it.
2000 Tiger 885i

haroldo_psf

I ahev to share this.. I was googling "Corbin Canyon Tiger", and came across a few folks who actually owned the Corbin, and were selling it because they had the stock seat done by the Spencer guy, and liked it better. I then read all about it, and it sounds really good! Even better, the cost is $75 bucks for the rider section, INCLUDING the LD upgrade. Too good.

What's even better, is that he is VERY familiar with the Girlies, see below his email reply to me. I will be shipping my seat tomorrow

"
Now offering Amsoil, Mothers, and Brite Side products.
2000 Tiger 885i

topher0268

Yep .. the email you just shared is EXACTLY why I intend to try this guy as well. If you've already shipped yours off then I'm anxiously awaiting a review ...
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

haroldo_psf

Hi all again

Unfortunatelly, Spencer refused to re-work my stock seat due to a nickel size hole in the seat...

I then found this add on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TIGER-9 ... 3a6638f51b

This now has me worried. I was going to buy the Corbin, which is listed for 99-06 Tigers on their site. But according to this eBay listing, the seat for an 885i and 955i are different.

Can anyone confirm so, or that the add is wrong and the seats are the same? I'd kill myself if I got stuch with a $400 corbin that didn't fit
2000 Tiger 885i

Mustang

bike bandit lists the same p/n for 885I and 955 I seats .................so I would assume the ebay add is incorrect , and Corbin is really good about returns anyway , in my experiences with them .

JTT

Quote from: "topher0268"Yep .. the email you just shared is EXACTLY why I intend to try this guy as well. If you've already shipped yours off then I'm anxiously awaiting a review ...

I just got my seat back from Spencer.  He is a class act.  Excellent communication through all stages of the transaction.

I had modified my original seat myself before getting another and sending to Spencer.

My first ride wasn't really a fair test.  I had ridden for 6 hrs straight, bolted on the Spencer and rode another 6 (all in same day). First thing that was noticeable was his efforts to level the seating position, taking the forward tilt out...just as he mentions in the letter.  The other thing that was immediately obvious was how nice and soft the foam is.  I'm figuring it is softer than stock, and certainly softer than my modified one (which I went the Corbin approach route...much firmer than stock).

Seat seemed better immediately.  A definite "pocket" to sit in.  I think it's going to work out good.  I'll update again, once I get a little break in time (which Spencer warns is necessary) and I get a chance to try under more "realistic" conditions.

ps.  I have a Corbin on my KLR.  Its been a good seat and much better than stock.  Corbins are VERY firm so be warned.  Many complain about this.  There was a couple of reasons I've resisted Corbin for the Tiger is they are very heavy.  They use their own pan which is like poured concrete.  Second and most concern for me was that the Corbin for the Girly is a single piece and you loose the height adjustment feature, which I really like....and then of course there was cost, but actually Corbins are very reasonable for the Girlies.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

haroldo_psf

After a lot of back and forth, and one UK eBay purchased seat later, I finally got it back from Spencer. I have both stock seat (which spencer refused to work on due to a tear in the cover) and the spencer modified seat.

As I install each seat and try each one back and forth, I have to say, whatever Spencer does, he really knows his $hit! The two main problems are now gone.

There is no concertrated pressure in the narrow area of my inseam (i.e. crotch). I feel like I seat IN the seat now, and not ON it. Also, he somehow changed the leveling of the seat, so I am now seating more towards the rear lip of the seat, as opposed to close to the tank.

By looking at both seats, I cannot tell the difference in shape, but when I seat on them, it is very obvious.

For $75 bucks (if you do the Supracor upgrade, which i did), it is an INCREDIBLE deal.

The best thing is the seat height was kept virtually the same, so my tall Tiger is still manageable (I have racing shocks and springs which hold the bike up really well...any added height would be very bad).

Highly recommend Spencer mod!!!!!
2000 Tiger 885i

macgart

I've had a Spencer modded seat on my Girly for over a year now and have about 20k miles on it.  It is great.  I've posted reviews before about the fine job he does.  I also had my old KLR seat done by him.  

Hands down, the best deal out there for a quality seat.  I'll continue to use his service when/if I ever replace my Girly.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/