News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine failure.

Started by Neil Pickering, December 07, 2004, 01:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Pickering

:shock: '04 Tiger (old model)....8 miles and 15 minutes into my usual morning commute...45/50 mph on the M11 link into London...shock, horror, oil pressure warning light comes on and engine cuts out....managed to coast into the hard shoulder. Waited a couple of minutes and restarted engine...fired straight off and got me to work without missing a beat      No other warning light came on.                              Any ideas?....fuel injection fault?   Not a pleasant experience on an otherwise great bike.

Robbie

Hi Neil

Quote from: "Neil Pickering":, oil pressure warning light comes on and engine cuts out.

Did it do it this way or did the engine cut first?

If the engine cut first then the oil light will come on when you pull the clutch.

If the bike ran OK after the incident then I would suspect one of two things

Electrical

Lose wire/ connector

Have you had the tank or seat off? Did you go over a big bump? Are all the fuses seated correctly?

Fuel

Temporary blockage in fuel filter, it has been known to happen, the pump passes a lot of petrol through there, has it been changed?

Did you try and start it immediately on stopping?

Have a think about it and see if you remember anything that may be a contributing factor. This will help in tracing a temporary fault like this.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Neil Pickering

Robbie,                                                                                                            Thanks for the help.     Pretty sure the engine cut initially.

Doesn't sound electrical....have'nt had the seat or tank off.

all fuses are seated....did'nt go over any bump.

Fuel?....have'nt changed the filter....bike's done 3200 miles.

Started the bike after 1 minute.....had no further problem for another 3 miles into work.

Robbie

Quote from: "Neil Pickering"Robbie,                                                                                                            Thanks for the help.     Pretty sure the engine cut initially.

No Probs

off the wall comment you didnt knock the side stand down by accident? I did this once streching my legs on a German autoban at 80, my wet weather overtrousers hooked up. bike slowed and i pulled the clutch, engine stoped as you say, I slowly let out the clutch and she started up.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Neil Pickering

Have'nt done that one yet....must be fun!

Spoke to a Triumph engineer short time ago.....confirms your fuel theory....suggested the problem has probably sorted itself...disconcerting though.

tigerjohn

Mine cut a few times within a week back in the spring- usually when I closed down the throttle. Took it into my dealer who re-loaded the fuel injection prog. Someone also reminded me to wait a few seconds after turning ignition before pressing starter button - to give the processor time to run through fuel setting checks. I'm not sure I'd been doing this before, but I've always done it since - and had no more trouble.

Mr Mistoffelees

Agree with Tiger john on that point - wait about 5 seconds after turning key in ignition before pressing starter button - give the fuel injection time to calibrate. last bike used to screw up if i didnt wait for it to self check each time.

One other suggestion - I'm not sure of the Tigers fuel tank set up, but could the air intake (for the tank) be slightly blocked, thus causin a vacum and stopping the flow of petrol until its had a chance to sit for a few mins ?
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions