News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine Management light on and cut out wont start.

Started by GARYSTIGER955i, August 29, 2011, 02:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GARYSTIGER955i

Ok Guys.. this may only be applicable to us Tiger 955i owners in wet colder climates..
Recently my charging system started to overcharge and so I cut 1 of the 3 yellow wires to protect my battery and reduce the voltage, (yes it works from 17+volts to about 12+volts).. And so I proceded to remove the Old electrix world REG/REC for a new revised unit, I did this with the Tank in situ, but i did have to lift the tank at the back to access the lower bolt the holds the rec/rec on.
  Ok so after Transplant, and everything back together, I attempted to start her to check charge rate etc but she wouldnt start, so I though maybe ECU as over voltage can wipe out the ECU, but ive a spare handy just in case.. and again she wouldnt start..   Now Im thinking...  I have a mac tools et80 engine management reader.
 So i connect up, and it reads Cyl 1/2/3 injector reading High, My code reader wouldnt clear the codes, which tells me theirs a fault that needs looking into...

So after stripping the bike down removing tank, panels etc. I checked the wiring, the most common fault found in motorcycles is the wiring that passes by the headstock toward the front, as the steering from left to right usually weakens the wiring and thus breaks, a good indication is faulty front indicators or Ignition lights..
 But after checking through the wiring and using loads of electrical tape later the fault was still their..
 Now I thought, Injection system and moving the tank with a pry bar,  Uummm I thought I wonder if ive disturbed something.
 So I unplugged the Big Square looking multiplug with yellow on it which sits on the right hand side in front of the lower tank, and is exposed to the elements.
 Now its supposed to be a water proof plug... Think again. when i unplugged it i noticed some of the contacts a bit green but not that bad, ive seen worse where the wires have just fell off as the green has turned to powder, where salt from the previous winters has made its way in to the wiring..
 It was a matter of time before this fault would have left me in deep dodo.
So i cleaned it up in the hope it may cure it...  
 Re assembled and resett the engine management and all ok....  until the plug moves or the heat gets in and then it stops with light on.. Ive took the code reader with me on journeys and every time this fault occurs the reader reads the same.. Inj 1/2/3 has high readings..
And so Ive purchased A new Injection loom and Recently fitted it.. Fault has Now Gone.. With Thumbs up from me..
So if you have experienced something similiar, just check the connector block, or wiggle it around..  
Ive also oiled the contacts before re-assembly.
This may not be applicable if you live in a hot country.. Just a thought

Oh Im on my 3rd reg/rec and 2nd generator, and ive only done 45 thousand miles.. Ive also just fitted a new K+N filter...

http://www.samedaymotorcyclecourier.com
"Led Zepplin didnt write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"

2001 green 995i Tiger
1989 BMW K100 RT
1982 Honda xl185s (now Sold)
1987 Suzuki Gs 850GG
1998 VZ 800 maurader
2004 Suzuki RV 125 vanvan
1998 LDV 400 Convoy.

KuzzinKenny

Hey GARYSTIGER955i !! get yerself a tube O this stuff........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corrosion-Blo ... 3a65474b6a

its a type O dielectric grease, great for all yer connectors  :thumbsup

it doesn't have to be this one but as long as its dielectric !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly