News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

its arrived!

Started by NeilD, September 02, 2011, 06:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

had to take the Tiger 800 loan bike back today (booo!) and it was replaced by a Y*m*h* FZ600 Divi.. anyway, moving swiftly along  :) todays update..

they tried a set of throttle bodies on which they had at the back of a cupboard , and they can now balance the throttle bodies  :)  
however still got the rough running at steady throttle.. they removed the injectors and one of those was described as 'furry' so their plan for tomorrow is to fit a decent 2nd hand one along with a set of 2nd hand throttle bodies which they've sourced, and see if that cures all its ills..
but at least the coolant has been bled and a new rad cap fitted, which has sorted the water problem..  :)

Chris Canning

All I can say is stick with it,when I had my new 885i in 99 within a week they wanted it back,the panic phone call said 'stop using it' why's that I ask all the internal bolts have been plated with the wrong stuff and their flaking and blocking the oil ways,this is 2 days from me(us) going to Le-Mans,then the headgasket went and so did mine!!  :roll: ,and I had another one(new bike thats is),but hardly a great start to my reintroduction to Triumph after 30 years but it came good in the end with the 955.

NeilD

todays update - still broken  :?  

just spoke to the tech working it and he's at a bit of a loss ..  still on a steady throttle at all revs its hunting/running lean..

Bixxer Bob

Hmmm.

Has he access to a spare ECU?  Worth a try as it fixed Hockley Boy's (at least I thinkit was him, it was a while ago).  

Lean at all revs suggests either the O2 sensor is u/s or the ECU thinks there's less air than there actually is thus leaning the mix, which would point to either the air temp sensor u/s or the baro sensor pipe blocked and the reading being stuck at a low pressure.  Temp sensors are also used in the calculation.

The Triumph gameboy would ident any u/s sensors immediately in skilled hands which is why I asked about the spare ECU.  (I have one by the way....)

Has he tried adjusting the long term trim to richen the mix?

If he dismisses these suggestions it would be useful to know why :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NeilD

yesterday they tried another  ECU, and injector with no real success, even with the TOR map (on standard silencer) its doing the same, although a slight improvemnt - I had noticed it was better when riding it from cold and 'the choke' was still on..  :)  
they've tried it with the O2 (lamda?) sensor disconected -  should that then take the O2 sensor out of the loop and the ECU then ignores it like it does at higher throttle settings, and so richen it up?  
I confirmed that they'd gone through all the hoses..
if no success today then I'll tell them to put it back together and I'll start talking to the original supplier of the bike, and they can have it back..

oxnsox

None of that sounds really reassuring....
OK so I'm on the other side of the world and it's ohh soo easy to be an armchair critic.....but....

Their whole fault finding technique sounds random as described. If the map is standard, they should be checking the sensors, if they have the correct test kit they can tell if the sensors are giving the right information and working correctly. If that all checks out then maybe change the ECU.... but, if 1 is running funny and 1 has had a scott-oiler fitted and it's modded,  umm, where would you start the process??
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NeilD

it lives!!!  :D

picked it up today and its great..  :D  

The dealer who was working on it doesnt really know what was wrong with it... eventually they even downloaded diagnostic stuff and went through it with the factory blokes, who again couldnt say what was actually 'wrong' but suggested a change of spark plugs and then set everything up again - this seemes to have done the trick..  8)  

they did change the throttle bodies for a set of 2nd hand ones, as for some reason the only way to get #1 in balance was to adjust it so far that it then stuck slightly on opening? maybe damaged when taken off to drill n tap the scotoiler take-off ??

NKL

Glad to hear you got it sorted, now you can enjoy it.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

NeilD

and now with added Hugger..  :D

P1020100 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

although was suprised how much crap eneded up outside of the hugger afte riding through a watersplash of only 6 or 7 inches deep..

also relocated the tax disc..

P1020102 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

replaced the broken tailight mounts, removed the topbox mount, adjusted the handlebars (tilted them more upright), and then went for a ride with the seat in the lowest position.. think I still need to play with the combination of bar and seat position, as I couldnt get really comfy..  after I did 150 miles yesterday I woke up with a really bad backache this morning, could hardly move. not sure if thats a coincidence or not, we shall see what tomorrow brings!

NeilD

had a bit of a 'farkle/de-farkle' today..

fitted mirror extenders - can now see behind me without having to move elbows, although slight blur at speed which wasnt there before but extra vision overrides that..

2 x relays and 2 x Osram Nightbreaker bulbs fitted - now have both lights on but will have to wait till its dark to see how well it works - I've got the same bulb in my TBS so hopefully will improve things.

MRA Vario screen - fitted and went for a ride. tried the movable bit in varuious positions but have swapped back to the Triumph 'tall' screen as I find that slightly more comfy... guess its just what suits your size/shape/seat position/helmet...

Chris Canning

I (we) do most of our riding two up the Tiger,now it may be the aerodynamics of that but the find the stock screen perfect even when doing a 1000 mile day,but still chuckle when I saw my first photo of a tiger with a bloody big screen on, one of those Palmer things,was that taken aback first thing I did was check the date to make sure it wasn't april 1st thought was a spoof :shock:

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Chris Canning"it may be the aerodynamics of that but the find the stock screen perfect even when doing a 1000 mile day

I find the standard screen prevents windblast, but the buffeting at autoroute/motorway speeds really pisses me off. It's so bad, it affects my vision as my head is rocked around. It's only a small amount of movement, but the frequency completely fooks it for me. The Triumph (OK, Jack Lilley) high screen I have reduces the wind blast even more, but the side to side buffeting is even worse, so it languishes in my garage.

A 1000 mile day using the standard screen? Respect!! Or perhaps you're crazy?
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Chris Canning

Long distance stuff is all it ever gets used for,as I've seen no prospect of a replacement on the horizon so it gets used sparingly,apart from the odd fly drive to a GP,all out holidays are on a bike and have been for the last 30 odd years so like the other week left it in the garage and went on something else,and within 5 miles of leaving the house thought bugger should have gone on the tiger.

But we've cruised it flat out with over 135 on the clock and on the 1000 miler(and god knows how many 5/6/700 milers) ran between 100/110 all day just cruised along and looked at the view,and hence with the 17" front wheel and all the other bells and whistles it'll scratch like a minimoto even two up and fully loaded on a French B road,my only complaint!! I got sucked into the gel seat frenzy a few years ago  :oops:  :evil: ,bought/ used/sold all in around sixweeks,you live and learn  :oops:  :oops:

It'll be interesting to see what this new 1200 is like,cuz I've got a gut feeling this 955 of ours may have to go a few more years yet.

Oh I forgot,have always worn an Arai RX7/Corsair/GP and so has my other half.

Chris Canning

As a side note,maybe it's having a big tank that makes the bike so aero dynamic as there no chance of wind swirling behind the screen ?

Tom Krein

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey NeilD !! congrats  :thumbsup

did it come with the panniers ? i see the brackets are there !!

keep the coolant between the Min and Max or it'll spit it out  :lol:

keep the chain slack  :shock:  :roll:

and mind an always shut the bike off with the key ( not the kill switch )

now go have some fun   :wink:

KK

WHY shut it off with the key VS the kill switch?  I really don't know....  

THANKS!

BTW... SWEET BIKE!

Tom