News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Showa fork rebuild

Started by Mudhen, September 04, 2011, 05:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Anyone here done a rebuild on Showa forks?

Apparently when I bought some used forks for my '96 to have revalved, etc I got Showa's...which means none of the rebuild parts I bought are going to fit.  And the tools I made up when doing my buddies '95 are useless as well.

I'd sure like to know how you're supposed to hold the inner cartridge when removing the lower allen bolt - there aren't any flats in it!  Or is it designed in such a way that it doesn't turn?  The first one I started stripping down didn't require any holding - wondering if I just got lucky.

And yowza - the rebuild parts for them are 3x the price of the Kayaba's!!!  WTF!

:evil:
\'96 Steamer

rybes

ive always undone the bolts at the bottom before ive took em out of the yokes. the only other way youll really do it is with a windy gun.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

theclowncrusty

I second that, i have always used an air impact gun that they use at the tyre places, never let me down yet!
Crusty

Bixxer Bob

And when you put them back, add a bit of silicon sealer to the copper washer.  A bit belt and braces but it makes sure you don't have any leaks.

(I know copper washers should be annealed to soften them before use, and I've never had a leak on the Tiger or 'Bird, but one leg on the Yam was a B*****d to seal. That's when the purist engineer in me gave over to a "modern" solution :? ).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...