News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Need help

Started by doc, September 05, 2011, 11:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc

Hi, Can someone tell me what size and type of bolts are used to hold the ignition switch on? Mine vibrated out and are on the road somewhere :oops:

Thanks

rf9rider

Think they are M6 X 1.0 x 20 shear bolts, the head shears off when you`ve tightened them up, but i`ve always used ordinary cap head bolts, with a little loctite.

doc

Quote from: "rf9rider"Think they are M6 X 1.0 x 20 shear bolts, the head shears off when you`ve tightened them up, but i`ve always used ordinary cap head bolts, with a little loctite.
Thanks rf9, I will check the local bolt supply house.

Cheers, Doc

iansoady

Those shear head bolts are a nightmare and don't even deter anyone from nicking your bike as they just snap the whole lot off.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

rf9rider

I`ve changed a few just lately, i`ve found a 4mm socket banged on to the shear bolts will undo them, never had to drill any out.

doc

Well I tried the m6x20 and they were coarse thread and didn't want to go in. Looked at the holes with a mirror and it looks like fine thread. Checked 3 bolt houses today and no one has fine thread. I heard metric bolts have a few different size threads?
I was told of another place to check on monday, anyone know of the thread count?

Cheers, Doc

Mustang

Girly bike .............yes?????

cuz the bolts for the key switch are listed in the parts fiche as m6x 1.0 x 20 mm long

maybe your threads are f**ked

but a fine thread m6 bolt is m6x.75in whatever length you want
but m6x1.0 is the std that most everyone uses m6x.75 is very very rare

Putts255

If you are close to a scrap yard.  Here is what I did.  My daughter smashed her left front fender.  When I went to the pick and pull scrap yard I kept all the bolts from the fender I removed and the ones off my daughters truck.  So I had lots of extras.  (She drives a 1995 Ford Ranger)

They work and with lock-tite (blue) on the threads mine have been snug all summer long.  Cheap solution.  

Crap if you want me to grab a couple and mail them to you PM me your address and I will mail them.  Snail mail, might take a couple 3 weeks....

Good luck...
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Putts255

Just realized you are in Calgary.  I may have to conduct some interviews the week of the 26th in Calgary to replace one of my team in Calgary.  Let me know if you still need them and I will bring them down with me.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

doc

After some more effort I got those bolts in today :oops: could not get them started with my hand but with a allen socket and ratchet and a little more pressure they went in! loctited as well.
Thanks to all who responded and Putts255, if your down this way with the bike some time pm me and we could go for a ride...

Cheers :)