News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

94 Tiger Nothing from the Starter button

Started by ngm8x, September 12, 2011, 11:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ngm8x

885cc 1994 tiger

Was running, then konked out and nothing at all happens when pressing the starter button, bike diesnt turn over or click.

Has dash lights(neutral showing) and  tried jump starting it from another bike but nothing still.

It bumped started though after some pushing.

Have a haynes manual and checked the clutch switch. Tested ok
Tested side stand switch and was ok. (kill switch in run position by the way)

There is no noise or click from the starter solenoid relay. I removed it and tested it as per manual, by connecting 12v across it and it clicked, but nothing from it when connected back into bike.

The 2 wires that push onto the top of the solenoid relay measured battery voltage across them when pressing starter button, but when testing the same voltage with the wires connected to solenoid relay it was reading alot lower.

Any more ideas?
what does the igniter do that is located under the left front fairing panel? if this was duff should the bike still turn over but not fire?

Checked for continuity in the starter button when its pressed and it is making a connection.
If it bump starts then does this rule out the clutch and  side stand switch?

any ideas???
thanks

Mustang

even though it's in neutral , pull the clutch in and I bet it spins  :wink:
use your wiring diagram and a multi meter and I bet you find there is no 12 volt power going thru the starter button to energize the starter relay ........clutch switch is the very common culprit
ignitor has nothing to do with it .

ngm8x

i had already tried starting it with the clutch in and the side stand up, but nothing.

Is there a way i can by pass the clutch switch.

Mustang

97tiger885

Quote from: "ngm8x"i had already tried starting it with the clutch in and the side stand up, but nothing.

Is there a way i can by pass the clutch switch.

You can do a temporary bypass using a paper clip.  Pull apart the clutch switch (on the inside of the clutch switch gear). The connector is 3-prong with the wiring harness having the female side.  Use the paper clip to connect the outer two holes of the female connector.   If the mc starts, the switch is done.  

I tested mine today.  My mc only starts with the clutch pulled in.  Used the paper clip trick and the problem went away.

I also found out during this that the mc will start if the sidestand switch is disconnected from the harness.  Don't know if any other problems crop up if the switch is disconnected but it will start.

++++++
Jon

ngm8x

thanks for the info there.
Will test it out this weekend.

cheers

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "97tiger885"I tested mine today.  My mc only starts with the clutch pulled in.  Used the paper clip trick and the problem went away.

Both my Tiger and my Sprint will not start unless the clutch is pulled in. I thought this was normal.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

nightrunner

Quote from: "ngm8x"There is no noise or click from the starter solenoid relay. I removed it and tested it as per manual, by connecting 12v across it and it clicked, but nothing from it when connected back into bike.

The 2 wires that push onto the top of the solenoid relay measured battery voltage across them when pressing starter button, but when testing the same voltage with the wires connected to solenoid relay it was reading alot lower.

any ideas???
thanks

These two observations are telling.  When the starter button is pressed you should get full 12 volts to the solenoid.  The reduced voltage suggests to me that there is some resistance, perhaps a poor or corroded connection, in this circuit.  A starter solenoid is an electromagnet.  They need a certain minimum current flowing through the coil to generate the field and make the internal bits move along the axis  Too little juice and its just like passing current through a very very long wire.  

Did you jump it from a running bike or just the battery?  I would try a car battery jumped to the Tiger battery.  If that failed, I would try touching a known good battery to the solenoid terminals and see if you can get the engine to turn over.  Make certain its in neutral because this will bypass all safeties.   If the motor turns over fine, then you have a bad connection somewhere on the high current side of the starter circuit.  I am not looking at the manual, but in most cases all of the these safety switches the others are talking about are in series with a relay along with the starter button.  This is the control side (or low current side) of the circuit.  There should be a relay somewhere that fires only if all the above switches are closed.  The load side of that relay may have oxidized contacts or oxidized or loose connectors somewhere.   The solenoid is on the load side of that relay.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mustang

Quote from: "nightrunner"
Quote from: "ngm8x"It bumped started though after some pushing.

Did you jump it from a running bike or just the battery?
ummmmm.............he push started it , ya know push it down the road jump on drop the clutch in gear , vroom vroom.