News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

riding through europe

Started by rybes, September 16, 2011, 04:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

afternoon all. come next tuesday ill be on me bike headin for england through denmark, germany and holland.
is there anythin anyone can tell me bout these countries and there coppers ? denmark i know so im alright there its really jus germany and holland i know nothin of. are the coppers tossers, am i likely to get pulled and if so what would cause it ? i just want a smooth hassle free journy without any greif and as ive never travlled through europe before i thought id ask.

cheers all
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Timbox2

Quote from: "rybes"afternoon all. come next tuesday ill be on me bike headin for england through denmark, germany and holland.
is there anythin anyone can tell me bout these countries and there coppers ? denmark i know so im alright there its really jus germany and holland i know nothin of. are the coppers tossers, am i likely to get pulled and if so what would cause it ? i just want a smooth hassle free journy without any greif and as ive never travlled through europe before i thought id ask.

cheers all

Ive driven and ridden in Holland & Germany quite a bit and Ive never been stopped, Yet!
But out of all the other guys I work with more have been stopped and fined in Holland, apart from one, who got a 1000 Euro  fine for flashing a guy to get out of the way in the fast lane on an unrestricted Autobahn in Germany. They classify it as an agressive act.

Oh yeah, Ive just remembered I was talking to some Dutch Bikers last time I went over, they were saying something about some roads where there is a ban on bikes now, but memory re location etc a bit sketchy, think we were having a shmoke :shock:
2016 Tiger Sport

Spud

never had a problem with the German police, like all police it's usually down to what you have done and your attitude when you get pulled. Just don't mention the war or even worse the Greek bail out cheers Spud  :wink:

Chris Canning

If your on motorways it's pretty straight forward with the exception of France they have had a major clampdown on speeding in the last 4 years and you need to pay attention.

Germany and Belgium are still pretty much gung ho if your that way inclined,but motorways have limits and the Germans stick to e'm,the cameras are set at 90 degrees to you on the motorway and when they go off thye'll scare the shit out of you. :D

Anywhere else ie Holland they have some pretty draconian speed limits(we were there a few weeks ago) on main roads,but only matters if you get stopped,cameras don't mean a thing,just like it doesn't for Europeans over here in the Uk,but when everyone else is crawling along a bit disrespectfull just bollocking past on small roads.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"....but when everyone else is crawling along a bit disrespectfull just bollocking past on small roads.

+1 Chris!! :thumbsup

I served three years in Germany on the Dutch border and drove extensively in both countries.  We were told all sorts of horror stories about the police but that's all they were, just horror stories.  I've never had any bother with them, then or lately.  Just be sensible, don't ride like an arse, don't attract attention to yourself and you'll be fine  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Gent I know on another board got done 750 Euro in France a few weeks ago,were it gets complicated they take your license off you,no license you can't ride the bike!!! and gets even more complicated.

Bixxer Bob

Simple answer: take your cue from the traffic around you.  And if there's no traffic use your common sense.  It's hard enough to pacify a UK cop let alone one that doesn't share your language.

I look at it from their perspective.  If it were bikers from europe ripping up our country roads because they thought they could get away with it, I'd be less than happy.  Don't do to others etc...

Wood stove's getting low so I'll burn me soapbox now :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

cheers for that  :D  looks like ill be ok then. cant see me takin the piss to be honest, first time ive rode this far and ridin fast tires me out. so itll be a nice slowish plod to holland with a stop over in germany then holland in the mornin. plan on ridin till the fuel light comes on then stoppin to fill up and take a break.

rf9rider

Where you coming to in England  mate?

rybes

co durham. got a stop of in norfolk weds night and then off there fri mornin to another forums meet.

rf9rider

I might be in Norfolk area next week working.

Bixxer Bob

I effin' live in Norfolk!

If either are passin' through and need a break (I can just about fry bacon)I'm near Swaffham, just give me a shout.

rybes

swaffham ? i thought you lived near cambridge ? may well be goin past your house fri mornin. on me way up norf. not too sure yet tho. ill check the route later and let ya know. may well be very early.
where bouts you gunna be RF ? ill be near norwich/great yarmouth

metalguru

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"(I can just about fry bacon)I'm near Swaffham, just give me a shout.

It's that BACON subject again BB........
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

rf9rider

Depending on what route i`m given, i`m usually around Attleborough area, then go into Watton on the way back to the depot, so probably will miss you.