News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Acquisition of three spoke cast wheels

Started by Rapier, September 21, 2011, 05:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapier

I have been looking at the information on the three spoke conversion for the front / rear wheels. I have a few questions on this. The write-ups on how to are stellar!
Thank you Mustang for this (and other topics) http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7197

I see that some of the conversions use wheels from a 93 to 98 from a Triumph Trophy, I see references to a 900 and 1200 is there a difference?  And does anyone know of a source beyond Bike Bandit?
Is it possible to get any Front Rim that is 19X2.5 (or Rear Rim that is 17X3)? And does anyone know of a source?

Rear Questions:
And please correct me if I am wrong (yes it WILL happen a lot), is the rear the simpler conversion?
From what I have read it is just a straight swap:
Using this diagram for the Trophy Wheel:
http://www.bikebandit.com/1996-triumph- ... #sch561597
You use Part #1 Rear Wheel Assembly from the Trophy and put all the original parts from the Tiger back on and bolt her up?

Front Question:
Would any of the members who have done this conversion be willing to make the necessary modifications to the parts / machining the needed plates (I of course would compensate) as I do not have a lathe / machine shop?
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

Quote from: "Rapier"I see that some of the conversions use wheels from a 93 to 98 from a Triumph Trophy, I see references to a 900 and 1200 is there a difference?

same wheels

QuoteAnd does anyone know of a source beyond Bike Bandit?
Is it possible to get any Front Rim that is 19X2.5 (or Rear Rim that is 17X3)? And does anyone know of a source?

EBAY rears turn up all the time fronts not as often

QuoteRear Questions:
And please correct me if I am wrong (yes it WILL happen a lot), is the rear the simpler conversion?
From what I have read it is just a straight swap:

everything is the same except the brake rotor , you HAVE to use a trophy rotor

QuoteFront Question:
Would any of the members who have done this conversion be willing to make the necessary modifications to the parts / machining the needed plates (I of course would compensate) as I do not have a lathe / machine shop?

what side of the big pond are you on USA or UK?

the front wheel requires 2 spacers to center the wheel and also allow for the different size bearing axle hole.
if you want a working speedometer you also need a trophy spedo drive that gets heavily modified
 you need two adapter plates for the calipers to bolt up to the forks
and you also have to use trophy front rotors which have been flipped upside down so they will clear the fork legs .

the easy way is to get a complete front end off a trophy and (triple trees and all) and swap  your tiger upper fork tubes for the trophy tubes and use the trophy lowers with all the other trophy front end bits .

yea the front's not as easy as the rear

Rapier

Thanks Mustang, I had a feeling you would be the first to respond.
I am just a bit south of you in North Carolina.

Clarification on the front:
If I can get the whole triple tree down from a Trophy, the only issue is mating of the cable lengths.
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

no a bone stock speedo cable from trophy will work so wont the tiger cable , you just need a trophy speedo drive .
and I did change my front brake lines to galfers that were 1 1/2 inch longer , although you could probably get away with the std tiger brake lines

rf9rider

If you do go down the route of using the Trophy triple trees, you`ll have to drill holes in the top one, and fit some bar clamps, or buy an aftermarket top yoke.
Be careful what model you get as some don`t fit, if you read through ROBs post about the conversion it`s all in there.
You can use the standard Tiger brake lines.
And you will need a longer speedo cable, they are available from Sprint manufacturing here in the UK or probably cheaper for you to get one made up over there.

Mustang

I used the cable that came with my ebay trophy speedo drive ....worked fine

but I also routed the cable like this and it had lots of room

rf9rider

My speedo cable is routed the conventional way, with the speedo drive facing towards the rear, thats why you need the longer cable doing it that way.
With the Trophy fork legs and mudguard fitted, theres no way to run the cable down like you have Mustang.

Rapier

This is great folks!
My Winter/ limited riding (December to Febuary  :D  aint the south great) season is gettin full of great garage projects!
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

rf9rider

Keep us posted with a few pictures.

Rapier

Pricing query, is 390$ for the front and rear wheels from a 1991 Trophy a good deal?
No rotors or anything, just the cast pieces?

Speaking on rotors - I see used ones around 100 ~ opinion, buy new, or trust in ebay?
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

Quote from: "Rapier"Pricing query, is 390$ for the front and rear wheels from a 1991 Trophy a good deal?
No rotors or anything, just the cast pieces?

Speaking on rotors - I see used ones around 100 ~ opinion, buy new, or trust in ebay?
not a bad price .but you may need to replace the bearings
are they black 3 spokes ? cuz otherwise I think they are 18 inch rear
myself I would be patient for a set of 95 or later black 3 spokes for a trophy or sprint ,or speed trip (the sprint and speed trip wheels need to be from early models with the same engine as your tiger)

ebay rotors work for me as long as you got an honest seller

rf9rider

As Mustang pointed out, the early Trophy and Trident (91 -93 i think) had six spoke alloys, the rear being 18 inch, front 17 inch.
I have these fitted to my number 1 Steamer, they work fine, and i prefer the look to the 3 spokes, but rear tyre choice is limited, and i had to lower the rear of the bike by turning the eccentric adjusters 180 degrees and lifting the chain guard an inch as it was even higher than stock!
And if the 3 spoke wheels are from a carbed model, they will fit.

Mustang

good to see I'm not the only one who numbers their tiggers  hehehe :wink:

rf9rider

Never had 3 of the same model bike before  :lol:

It must be love  :oops:

Mustang

Quote from: "rf9rider"Never had 3 of the same model bike before  :lol:

It must be love  :oops:
fetish ? insanity ? or just plain stoopid  :ImaPoser

actually all three are setup different , ones a hack ones a corner carver touring bike , and the other one's  mrs. M's ride

psst!  lookin for #4