News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2000 Ducati 750SS

Started by EvilBetty, September 23, 2011, 09:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Anyone have experience with one of these?

After my track day I found this bike on Craigslist for $2300... I've been digging for info on it on the net.  Maintenance sounds like a non issue.  Seat and suspension seem to be track friendly, and not really road friendly.  Engine is reported to be underpowered compared to an SV650.  Race plastics seem cost effective.

I just got back from looking at it.  The guy has a 798 and a RR1000 in his garage keeping it company :)

The upper right side fairing has had some cracks repaired, but otherwise I can't find anything wrong with it.  It will need the valves checked again soon but other than that it's up on all it's maintenance and still has a lot of meat left on a set of Michelin Pilots.

Haven't even tried negotiating yet and it's already down to $2000.  Pretty sure I could grab this bike for $1800.

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

oxnsox

Its a Duke and you'll love it.....

but...
I wouldn't expect it to gain in value or become collectable so don't buy it if thats your motivation. (This isn't an 'iconic' duke)
It'll be a harsher ride than a tiger, it's a sport bike built by Italians.
Maintenance can be costly.
Motor likes to be heard
You'll like to hear the motor

Disclaimer:
No I don't have one, but I do have one of these:
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_650_indiana.htm and all I've said above I've learnt from this.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JetdocX

Yup!  What he said.  I'd also like to add...

It's an air cooled engine, right?  If it's gone over 30,000 miles it might be time for a top overhaul.  Working on that rear cylinder might just kill a person.

Good luck.  Do your homework on this one.  Or not.  Just ride the piss out of it until it breaks.  You'll be happy for a while. :twisted:
From parts unknown.

EvilBetty

I was ready to buy it but it got sold while I was "researching", and installing my chock on the trailer.

I would never replace the tiger with it.  Wanted a "toy" and track bike.

I've been looking at SV650's and GXSR front end parts but that bike's looks just bore me.

Looking for something to play with around $2500.00.  Old Dayton or even maybe  SpeedFour would be nice.  Saw one of those kinda local.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Colonel Nikolai

You might be better off. Having rebuilt an air-cooled twin recently, it's a lot of work rebuilding these things. I had to take the engine out to rebuild it: no access without that. Since I can put 15k on a summer (although haven't done that recently, too much work), doing a rebuild every few years would get tedious to me.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Looking for something to play with around $2500.00.  Old Dayton or even maybe  SpeedFour would be nice.  Saw one of those kinda local.
stay away from the speed fours they suck ......and the efi is really wonky on em .
If ya looking for a track bike get a fz1 yammie haha
cheap and fast

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"stay away from the speed fours they suck ......and the efi is really wonky on em .

I thought that was fixed back in the late TT600 days?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.