News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Correct Shoe Size

Started by Nick Calne, September 26, 2011, 11:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Steamer 2 is about to get a new pair of shiny black TKC 80 boots from those lovely Continental people.  ST2 has got standard steamer wheels.

Before I rush in and (as normal) make a tit of myself with the wrong kit can anyone confirm that:

110/80 19
140/80 17

are the right ones....  I have heard some people say 150/80 17 is the right size for the back.....

Thanks guys. 8)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Rocinante

The knobs are very different on the rear depending on the width you choose. Currently I have TKC-80 130, and the knobs are a lot narrower than on the standard 140. The 150 is closer to 140 I think, but still wider knobs.

The result is that the wider you choose, the more paved road friendly it becomes.

Other than that your sizes look correct.

TKC-80 is in my opinion the best all-round choice you can make. On paved roads it behaves pretty much like a road tire, unless you like to use knee pucks, and on gravel it´s very decent and a lot better than the standard tires for these bikes. It wears a bit quicker though.

Last year I road on Pirelli MT-21 which is a much better pure gravel tire, but discovered in a rather brutal way how lousy they brake on paved surfaces. Now I don´t dare to use them anymore.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

MIMbox

In the UK, early Tiggers had a 140 rear. The rear tyre on my 95 is a 150, but the rim was swapped out by the last owner due to corrosion, and a rim from a later one was used, possibly a Girly Tiger. I do not know when the cut over was, but it may have coincided with the change to stainless spokes/Behr rims. I suspect that you need to ensure your rim is correct for your tyre width. The later wheel was a straight swap, I am told.

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?